• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clearing

Barrel Char Wood Products

PanzerBjorn

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
So now that my two gallons of cyser have been sitting without a blip for a while now, I had another question. How long should it take a cyser to clear or do they get clear? Is there anything you can do besides adding chemicals to help it along?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
My first experience with cyser is that my batch was clear in about two weeks after I racked from primary to secondary. I was surprised because the juice that I used was unfiltered and unfined so it was cloudy with some floaties, and I had added chopped raisins and dates. I was prepared for the worst but the stuff really cleared quickly so I was pleasantly surprised.

Patience is the key, let it sit and it will usually drop clear.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
PanzerBjorn said:
So now that my two gallons of cyser have been sitting without a blip for a while now, I had another question. How long should it take a cyser to clear or do they get clear? Is there anything you can do besides adding chemicals to help it along?
Like Oskaar said about 2 weeks and it should be crystal clear. It normally clears naturally. You can put carboy in refrigerator if it will fit and 2 days will do wonders to clear it up quickly and get any remaining yeasts to come out of suspension and fall to the bottom.
Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns