Thread: A little off topic

1. Default A little off topic

Currently I have an abundance of Sorgham Molasses. I was wondering if I could use it in a similar way as honey? If so any suggestions? I'm not interested in making rum. Thanks in advance.

Tanasi

2. Default Re: A little off topic

Probably not. Molasses contains solids that are way off the chart. About 45-60% solids usually, lime, ash, potassium etc. About the only thing it is good for is baking, cattle feed or RUM!!!

Mike

Default Re: A little off topic

Some have used it in their yeast starters or as a yeast nutrient for their meads. However, it may impart a taste to your mead.

I used it as a yeast starter/nutrient supplement. I used 1/4 cup in a 3 gallon batch of mead.

So far I can't really determine how much flavor it contributed to the final mead. It's still way too green to tell how it will age out.

I wasn't really trying to flavor the mead. I may add more another time to see what the difference would be.

David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

I believe you will find it an interesting additive and flavor component. I tasted both molaasis and maple surup in a couple of the meads at the Meadfest. Many who make apple cider use dark brown sugar not only for the color it adds but for the slight molassas flavor it imparts. Using it for sweetening up the mead especially will add a pleasant flavor component if you like the flavor of molassas.
    Joe