Thread: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

1. Default Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

My Cyser has reached a nice 1.006 and to congratulate these wonderful yeasts after a long, hard months work, I'd like them all to take a nice long nap (And land on the bottom so that I can rack the cyser off of them). How long do they usually take to do this... my weather report tells me it'll be 1-4 deg C and cloudy here for the next day or so... my carboy is now on the balcony and I'm wondering how long it may have to stay there and if it will need any protection.

2. Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

I don't know - and I have an additional question. Is "suck back" a potential problem (that is, water from the airlock or air from the outside being sucked back into the carboy)?

3. Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

Tough to say about the intake of outside air... but really I'm not too worried about outside yeasts and beasts... it's probably been to cold for them for a month or so now... Canadian weather is good for a few things. Or at least I hope so.

Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

"Suck back" is a good reason to use cheap vodka in your airlock. Any one of several kinds abound at the local markets.

I usually give my mead a quick breath (dislodge but not remove the bung with the airlock in it) and then re-seat the bung, to equalize pressure. This hasn't been a problem in many batches using kegs and carboys.

Then it goes into the fridge for a week (I likes to put them in a DEEP sleep)

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

5. Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

i stuck 5 gals of blueberry in the fridge at 38 degrees. i hope it was ok to remove the airlock all together?

i covered with a layer of 4 paper towels rubber banded over the opening.

after i rack and sorbate i will go with the airlock again for 3 months.

sound good

Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

You should always keep that airlock on, even in the "Fridgeramator" you can still contaminate your mead with molds, yeasts, bacteria, etc. They just won't grow very quickly until you take out the carboy, then they take off.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

7. Default Re: Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

roger that... i'll get it back on, thanks!