• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Giving yeasties "the big sleep"

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
My Cyser has reached a nice 1.006 and to congratulate these wonderful yeasts after a long, hard months work, I'd like them all to take a nice long nap (And land on the bottom so that I can rack the cyser off of them). How long do they usually take to do this... my weather report tells me it'll be 1-4 deg C and cloudy here for the next day or so... my carboy is now on the balcony and I'm wondering how long it may have to stay there and if it will need any protection.

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
I don't know - and I have an additional question. Is "suck back" a potential problem (that is, water from the airlock or air from the outside being sucked back into the carboy)?

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
Tough to say about the intake of outside air... but really I'm not too worried about outside yeasts and beasts... it's probably been to cold for them for a month or so now... Canadian weather is good for a few things. Or at least I hope so.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
"Suck back" is a good reason to use cheap vodka in your airlock. Any one of several kinds abound at the local markets.

I usually give my mead a quick breath (dislodge but not remove the bung with the airlock in it) and then re-seat the bung, to equalize pressure. This hasn't been a problem in many batches using kegs and carboys.

Then it goes into the fridge for a week (I likes to put them in a DEEP sleep)

Cheers,

Oskaar

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
i stuck 5 gals of blueberry in the fridge at 38 degrees. i hope it was ok to remove the airlock all together?

i covered with a layer of 4 paper towels rubber banded over the opening.

after i rack and sorbate i will go with the airlock again for 3 months.

sound good???

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You should always keep that airlock on, even in the "Fridgeramator" you can still contaminate your mead with molds, yeasts, bacteria, etc. They just won't grow very quickly until you take out the carboy, then they take off.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns