• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need help updating the Mead Lover Digest pages

Barrel Char Wood Products
V

Vicky Rowe

Hi folks.

If you know basic HTML (or even if you don't!), you could help, if you've a mind.

I've got over 1000 pages of the historical MLD, going back to 1992. Some of them are fine, but others are missing a title tag.

Ideally, I'd like to have a title tag that outlines the basic topics covered in the MLD for each page, but barring that, each page needs to have at least the digest number and date.

Its grunt work, but it will help immensely for anyone who wants to search the collected works of the Mead Lover's Digest.

We've been blessed by Dick Dunn as an official archive site, and I'd like to make these pages as descriptive as possible.

If you're up for a lot of easy, but tedious work, let me know.

Whoever does it gets a free copy of the Sacred Text Archives CD-ROM, which includes electronic texts of nearly a thousand of the most important books and articles ever written, including over two hundred transcribed specially for sacred-texts. Years of extensive research and scholarship went into this CD-ROM: all the core texts of religion, mythology, folklore and the esoteric are on one disk.

This isn't much by way of monetary payment, but it contains a *wealth* of info, and is where we get many of the cool quotes that rotate at the top of the site pages.

As always, thanks for your help!

Vicky - shuffling the pile of stuff to update

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Vicky Rowe said:
If you're up for a lot of easy, but tedious work, let me know.
Well, I've never been called tedious, but the rest of it fits! I'd be happy to help. Email me with what you'd like me to do!
GntlKnght

V

Vicky Rowe

LOL...thanks hon. I'll get the stuff together, and we'll talk. Oskaar has volunteered too, so I'm in good hands (*down*, Oskaar!).

I have to divide it up, and show you what I have, then we can figure out how to clean it all up.

V

Vicky Rowe

No worries. There are over 1200 pages. It'll take a while.....

Have a Happy Christmas, Exmoor!

Vicky - doing the quiet family at home thing this year

V

Vicky Rowe

Don't think that will do it. The biggest problem is that a significant percentage have blank <title> tags. I had taken the text archives and used an HTML tool to convert them into my current template for underpages. However, for whatever reason, some used the digest # and name for a title tag, and some didn't. Formatting differences in the text files, mostly. What happens is when you do a search, the title tag is what is displayed as a link, and the ones that are blank are confusing because you don't know what they are.

Now, I'm creating a new secondary page layout, and have to shovel them all into it before handing them over to Oskaar, GntlKnight & Exmoor for tweaking.

If it were possible to bulk process them, I wouldn't need the extra hands, but the differences in the text files are just enough to make manual tweaking necessary.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns