• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Redstone Meadery

Barrel Char Wood Products
R

Ranna

You'd think I would've, but I didn't realize until only recently that there's a fairly well established meadery in my hometown of Boulder, CO. However, with budgets being as they are (tight) and prospects being the usual (grim), I just want to make sure before I go out on a meadbuying rampage :)

So, does anyone have any reviews on any Redstone products? I'm not terribly big on berries, so I probably won't end up getting any of their melomels, but they're probably a good indication of the quality of their other products, so if that's what you've tried, please let me know if this Meadery is any good.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
They've won several awards over that last couple of years, and from what I've heard they make a very nice mead.

I'd rely on Joe Mattioli, Dan McFeely, Vicky, Jab for firsthand opinions.

Here's a link to their website with some of their press.

http://www.redstonemeadery.com/daily2.htm

Cheers,

Oskaar

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
I've had quite a few of their meads. To be quite honest, I wasn't all that impressed with all but the high end.

The show mead was so overpowered with sulfites that I couldn't finish the bottle. The nectars had an odd flavor that I couldn't quite place - somewhere between too young and oversulfited. I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't by a second bottle of any of these.

The Reserve, however, is to die for. ;D $50 a bottle, and worth every last penny just to inhale the vapors from the bottle.

R

Ranna

From Oskaar's link, as well as other pages on the site, I guess the Nectars are just that, young, quick meads, seemingly a way to get the mead to the market in a reasonable abount of time. I don't have a lot of experience (a friend's batch, and a metric buttload of information from the 'net), so I'm not quite sure I'll be able to distinguish all of these tastes as well as you have, but I'll be looking for them.

I'll be heading back to Boulder for about a month at the end of this week, so maybe I'll see if I can make it on one of the tours/tastings, and see for myself. Maybe I can try the Reserve there, since it's a bit out of my price range.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Sorry Guys,
Like ScottS, I'm spoiled too now. I have tasted some really fine meads at the meadfest both commercial and some homemade. One homemade even had heather honey in it and the aroma from the glass was so strong even from 12" away that there was no need to drink it. Now the mediocre has lost its appeal. You might as well buy the reserve of Redstone and enjoy the best and then you can strive to recreate it in your own house.

I'm not paying $12-16 for mead when I can make as good or better quality myself. The only less expensive one I tasted at the Meadfest that I would buy is Spruce Mountain Meadery's Traditional Mead made from Clover honey. It had the most wonderful aroma and floral notes for a Clover Mead that I ever tasted. This was their first year and they won a Bronze at the Meadfest. I was impressed so much I drank a half a bottle in samples. :D They are located in Larkspur , Colorado but cannot ship to KY.

Best of luck in your quest for perfection. I have created some I like but I have not yet arrived. I am at batch 36 and still trying to find it.
Cheers,
Joe

jeebeel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 22, 2004
I quite enjoy Redstone's traditional mead and the mead spiced with juniper berries. They both have a fairly complex honey flavor and aroma, with good body and mouthfeel. I do not recommend the nectars - too light and watery for my tastes.

And I agree with all previous comments on making your own and learning this great craft. But enjoying an occasional bottle of Redstone mead while aging your own batches is good.

Cheers!

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I have to agree on the Necters, not my bag.

I rather liked the Vanilla/Cinnamon when I went on the tour so I bought a bottle. I had another taste of it at the MeadFest and still liked the taste. I am planning on cracking the bottle I bought at Xmas time to give it a more thourough inspection.

Also from the tasting/tour:

Traditional Mountain Honey Wine: This is the first Redstone I had. I bought a bottle a couple of years ago. Up to that point I had only had Chaucers (which I don't care for at all) so I thought I had hit the gold mine. I am much more 'experienced' now. It's not bad mead, but for my personal tastes it's not great mead either.

Boyesnberry & Plum: I rather liked these two, especially the plum. Again, I had no melomel's prior to tasting these. After some of the ones I tried at the MeadFest I would consider them middle of the road. Probably worth the money if you like either of those flavors.

The others I can honestly say that I tried but don't remeber any longer.

Reserve: This is the candy baby! I got a sample at the tour/tasting ($3.00 for about an ounce or two) and spent about 15 minutes just breathing the vapors! Worth every penny. If I could manage this (and I will someday as Joe pointed out earler) I would be done. I would figure out a way to retire and spend my day drinking it, cooking with it, bathing in it, errr. Alright, lets just say I think it is good.

I would give Redstone 3-4 stars out of 5 in an overall review of their products. I think the thing that is really tough for them (and for Rabbit's Foot, or any of the other meaderies out there) is that they are in an akward position of being 'first'. They have the awesome burden of 1) getting people to try mead, 2) getting people to 'like' mead, 3) keep people wanting mead, and 4) turning a profit. Any one of those is a tall order.

These companies are pioneers of a sort and while I am sure David Myers, Julia Herz, Mike Faul, and all of the other meadery owners would love to crank out gallons and gallons of their respective 'reserves' they all have a bottom line that needs to get met. To move product they have to be able to cater to the public's taste which is a varied as the wind. For some people that will be Redstone's Traditional, for others it will be RabbitFoots's Cyser.

The point is, while it is good get get an opinion there is no substitute for tasting it yourself and making your own decision. I would highly suggest taking the tour/tasting.

And now that I have rambled on for an eternity...what was the question again?

-jb

R

Ranna

Thank you all for your input. I just figured I'd find out a little more before I spent any money or made the drive down to Boulder for a tasting.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I'll be driving through Denver on my way through tomorrow, but unfortunately won't hav time to make the side trip to Redstone.

I'm helping move my brother from Orange, CA to Michigan so we are loaded heavy and trying to get there as soon as possible.

Wish I could stop.

David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns