Thread: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

1. Default Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone else heard about Sony's screw-up that resulted in them having to pull off the shelves their discs.
    For the last couple of weeks I have been listening to http://grc.com/securitynow.htm and they were among the first to break the news.
    Give them a listen,

Ted

2. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

I haven't listened to SN for awhile, even stopped listening to TWiT.

I should go get caught up on their episodes...

3. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

Something to note: if someone makes a "CD" like this (with copy protection), it is no longer an audio compact disc. The standard for an audio CD does not allow for this and if you buy one - take a close look at it. They are not allowed to put the "compact disc" logo on it. This is quite frustrating to me. My main CD player will not play these. seriously. And I'm not going to buy one JUST because of this either. My current CD player is over $500. So I now research any CD from a major label before I buy it to be sure it's not copy protected. If it is, I won't buy it. My CD collection is over 1000 strong, so they are losing a good customer fast with this crap.

I heard about this Sony "rootkit" garbage. How nice of them to introduce a security flaw in your computer for you. It's not like windows doesn't have enough of these already. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't do windows. They are only hurting themselves. Sony is tarnishing their strong brand. Between this and their proprietary compression format that was required for their "mp3 player" (that didn't play mp3's), they are not doing so well.

Boycott all copy protected CDs. Thankfully I've only run into this twice. Once after I bought it and once before.

4. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

The rootkit allows any program starting with $sys$whatever.exe to install on your computer and become invisible to alls scanning apps. As of Monday, there was one known trojan virus that was using this to install on people's machines. As of yesterday morning, Sony announced they are pulling all cds off the shelves and work on a replacement program.
    Now the class actions will start, it is estimated that 500,000 machines are affected.

Ted

Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

I've been following this story since Nov 1st. For all you Tech Geeks out there if you want the full story on the discovery and analysis Go here...

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

Wrathwilde

6. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

Hey Wrath,
    Thanks for the link. I heard about it at securitynow.com

Cheers,
    Ted

I read about it at both The Inquirer, and The Register. Two of my favorite Tech News Sites.

http://www.theinquirer.net/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/

Wrathwilde

8. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

Now they are being sued by Texas!

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/1996172.html

9. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

It was just a matter of time before the law suits started. personally, I think they deserve it.

Ted

I say sue them until they admit to everything. And when they're done sue them some more just for the fun of it.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

11. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

This isn't the first time they've tried this either. The last time they did it, you could defeat the copy protection by taking a black sharpie and drawing a circle around the edge of the CD. Since CD's play from the inside out, this only impacted their copy protection.

Normally I say that we live in a society that is WAY TOO lawsuit happy, but in this case I hope they get slammed.

Yeah, I always found it amusing that when the Beta-Max came out all of the movie studios were suing SONY and they were like "Hey, this is not for pirating, it's just for home use!" now they're leading the battle against Napster, Grokster, Kazaa etc. It's just ironic, but times change and so do the bottom lines.

Cheers,

Oskaar

13. Default Re: Sony/BMG stepped in it this time

It only makes Sony seem desperate. They have to protect it with DRM rather than produce a product that inspires enough passion that people WANT to buy it. Their music hardware business is not doing so well. Even in their homeland of Japan, the iPod is kicking their butt.

Oooo, it gets even better, sony knew about it and decided to keep quiet and press on. More here...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...y_drm_spitzer/

Wrathwilde

Yeah,

I saw that. Well looks like sony is in for some turbulent times ahead. It's interesting that the didn't really follow-through on ensuring the CD's were pulled from the shelves in order to keep the malware from continuing to propagate.

We live in interesting times . . .

Cheers,

Oskaar