• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need your input on a Gotmead store

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
lostnbronx said:
Pop is someone's father. Coke gets you into rehab.

It's soda! ;D

Naw, Co-cola is what its called.....and some like peanuts in theirs.

Vicky - more grits than oatmeal in my bloodstream now...

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Oh gosh, I had to break myself of the habit of asking for sweet tea. Seriously, for almost six months after I moved here, it was, "I'd like sweet tea."

"We don't have sweet tea" *nonchalant look*

---OR---

"You want what?"

I hope one day to return...

CordiallyYours

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 4, 2005
Hi Vicky,

I'm enjoying your site. Thanks for the hard work.

As for your issues with a web store, you can resolve a few of them using tools available directly from UPS. You can download a toolset that works with http calls to their server which will return the billing matrix for any set of zip codes. So if your supplier is in, say, New Jersey and a customer in Oklahoma, you can pass the two zip codes (origin and destination) and get back the rates for ground, overnight, 3 day, etc.

I've done this a few times for commercial sites that my company has developed.

A comment, however: While this allows you to have one checkout, it still doesn't get around the fact that your customer will have multiple packages coming from multiple locations, and will therefore pay the shipping/handling multiple times. This was a common complaint that I've still not found a way to deal with.

In any event, thanks again ... you have a great site, and good luck with your store should you decide to proceed.

Best,

-Cordially-

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi Cordially!

Thanks for the complement, I appreciate it. The store is coming along, and having UPSOnline and live FedEx and such is no worry, but getting the split to work will take programming. I'm working on getting together the cash for it now, with hopes of implementing it by the end of the year.

The goal is for the shop to calculate the shipping without me having to get in and mess with it (other than setting up handing fees and such). We'll see how well it works in practice! LOL

Vicky - working on the CMS version of GM as we speak

M

mtnwalker

Just a thought, could you perhaps set up a complete store for handling everything we might need for online purchases, and set up to buy wholesale from various distributers, that would have everything in stock, and they could then drop ship straight to your customers?

Figure your retail price, plus their shipping. We'd have one stop shopping, same speed of delivery, and you wouldn't have inventory, and handling problems. There are a lot of business's doing this now quite successfully.

Honey you could buy wholesale in bulk and repackage into usable volumes, with your marketing label As a beeker in the past, I know there is an incredible markup on it from bulk to retial package.

And you adveriseing would be free, and you would already have a large volume of soyal customers, many who might be willing to help you do the set up work.
Best regards, John

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
The store will have everything I can find, and all is going to be dropshipped. I can't do the buy wholesale honey thing, that requires funds I don't have, so it will be drop shipped too.

The shop will be like a 'mall', so each store is complete in itself, with its own shipping (since they're all over the world).

Vicky

M

mtnwalker

Dear Vickey,

again, I am a total newbe to mead and cider, but determined to learn. However, there are in most small towns via the small business assc. retirede business persons volunteering to help new start ups, and with advice, and links to get gov. grants and secure very cheap loans. They will set up a cost factor,and income factor for you and you will be a shoe in. When they are finished with helping you, you would have a concise idea of your profit potential over expenses for at least a 3 year program, given what you now have, which could expand immensly. Potential is there, absorbe t , enjoy it and use it. Better than a credit card, these programs have super low and longer term interest rates than any credit card compassion. And all this help is free. Again, use and enjoy, as I will also having a one source of ordering. Some of your devoted members are probably quite expert at helping set all this up. Let them do their part. Wish I knew more and could help more. This is cerainly the best site I have ever had the chance to visit or ascribe to. You are superior and superlative. Thankd again for allowing me in. John

PS: also posted to the newbe site which I am, as deep plans needed! Help needed!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns