FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: they look like cloudbursts

1. Default they look like cloudbursts

My guajillo mead is doing a funny thing. I've picked up the jug a couple times to hold it up to the light and see how it's looking. It seems like whenever I disturb the jug, no matter how careful I am, it sets off a little explosion inside it. I hear a massive amount of fizzing and I can see what look like big cloudbursts happening inside. I'm using D47. It just looks so strange and none of my other meads have done this. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I thought I'd give it a mention here, just out of curiosity.

3 lb guajillo honey (5 more oz. added later)
    5 oz partially milled organic sugar
    tiny pinch tannin
    pinch nutrient
    pinch acid blend
    handful of chopped dates and white raisins, unsulphited
    two drops liquid pectic enzyme
    water to one gallon
    Lalvin D47 yeast

OG 1.116

I had added the extra sugar to push the OG up, hopefully past the yeast's tolerance for some residual sweetness, but it didn't quite make it up there. Two days into fermentation I added 5 more oz guajillo honey and 1/2 tsp nutrient, since the fermentation didn't seem as vigorous as I was used to. It's just over two weeks old.

2. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

It sounds to me like it is still fermenting! I guess that when you *disturb* it, you are resuspending some of the yeasties and they get busy again. You might have to coach this one along while checking the SG.
    This is just guess work on my part, it is possible that the honey may have stratified somewhat. give it a good stir to resuspend all of the stuff. Since you fed it, expect a longer aging time, I guess. Try adding a pinch of Fermaid-K, you are way past the point where DAP and the others would be very effective.

Ted

3. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

It's definitely still fermenting, I was just wondering what was up with those crazy cloudburst looking things. Thanks!

4. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

I had something like that with a 1 gal batch I made with linden honey. The mead is clear as can be but it was dryer than the Sahara so i added skaar's favorite fruit to it (persimmons). LOL
    No worries, it will be fine.

Ted

Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

Persimmons! My favorite too. Coming on strong at the farmer's markets. Care to share your recipe? Been thinking of a persimmon mel...

thanks,
    Kirk

Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

Abejita,

Sounds to me like this particular batch may have "pockets" of CO2 bubbles caught under the surface of the yeast. I don't know the specifics on D-47, but all the Lallemand yeasts are good flocculators in my experience. Move the fermenter around, and you let loose a big bubble, kicking up some yeast in the process. Just an idea, anyway...

BTW, I read on your blog about an acremead, and a buckwheat, but I can't find a post about them here. Details! Details! Retiring minds want a show!

-David

7. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

Hey Kirk,
    Just a straight mead that went waaayyy tooo dry that was racked onto 3 persimmons. Still too dry but it will get backsweetened in a couple of weeks.
    Hey abejita, how is the Stormy (cloudy mead)?

Ted

8. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

Quote Originally Posted by lostnbronx

BTW, I read on your blog about an acremead, and a buckwheat, but I can't find a post about them here. Details! Details! Retiring minds want a show!

-David
    Heh, okay, I'll post in the brewlog section.

9. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

I had to do some brewing stuff tonight (racked my pomegranate wine) so I hauled out this one and gave the sediments a slow, gentle stirring. There was an immediate reaction: much fizzing, plus a mass rising to the top rapidly, then bursting outwards. Pretty cool.

10. Default Re: they look like cloudbursts

Forget lava lamps!!! Let's go for mead lamps Way cool!!!

Ted