• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Naming Etiquette

Barrel Char Wood Products

Geoo

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
I searched but couldnt find any answers/opinions on this.

When using someone elses recipe, how do you normally name it on your bottles. For example, one of my batches I used a recipe called "Barat's Concord Pyment". Since I used his recipe would it be better for me to put that name on the bottles, or since I made it would I put "Geoo's Concord Pyment", or whatever. I know that i can probably do whatever I like, but just wondering what the general opinion on this type of etiquette would be.

To make matters more complicated in this case. I know Barat. I dont want to serve him "Geoo's Concord Pyment" when he knows dern well its recipe. LOL

Actually my questions is more of a general nature. As for this one, I'll just ask him.. but..

Anyways, it might be a silly question.. but just putting a feeler out there.

Geoo

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Geoo,

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting your own name on a batch -- even if it's someone else's recipe. I mean, you made the stuff, you took the trouble to bottle it and, maybe, put together a nice label and all, so why not? I'll bet we could line up a dozen different bottles of a dozen different batches by a dozen different people of Joe's Ancient Orange, and no two will taste exactly alike -- even if the recipe was followed to the letter by each mazer!

-David

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
Geoo,

I agree with David. Regardless of how precisely you followed Barat's recipe, your results will be different from his. Maybe your water is harder, or softer. Maybe you fermented it at a higher, or a lower temperature. Maybe you aged your longer, or shorter. Maybe during the bottling process, your mead became more oxidized, or less oxidized. Maybe your honey was from a different apiary...and even if you went to the same place that Barat did, honey will vary with the time of year it was harvested.

Those are just a few variables that make your mead a unique creation.

If you truly feel the need to acknowledge his contribution, you can put on the label "Inspired by Barat's recipe". Be proud of it...and if Barat is like most of the people in this hobby, if your results were better than his, he will very happy for you.

Just my opinion. I have a lot of them....just ask me.
Trevor

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
I too have struggled with that same question. Joe Mattiola is so famous for his Ancient Orange Spice Mead, both here and on several other boards as well, that it almost seems a crime not to mention his name on the very tasty mead that results. At various times I've named it "Joe's Ancient Orange Spice Mead" or simply "Ancient Orange Spice Mead", but if I don't mention his name I feel guilty! :-[

MacLupine

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
www.maclakey.us
Personally I NEVER follow any recipe to the letter for that reason... I always look for a way to make it my own so that I don't feel bad about what I call it.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Geoo,

You have probably asked a question that many of us have wondered about, so thanks for putting it out here. I have thought about that same thing myself. I decided that, just as chefs name their recipes and give no credit to the originator, so we can name our meads any way we want. Giving credit somewhere in the small type is a great idea though.

Angus

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Summersolstice said:
I too have struggled with that same question. Joe Mattiola is so famous for his Ancient Orange Spice Mead, both here and on several other boards as well, that it almost seems a crime not to mention his name on the very tasty mead that results. At various times I've named it "Joe's Ancient Orange Spice Mead" or simply "Ancient Orange Spice Mead", but if I don't mention his name I feel guilty! :-[

SummerS,

There wouldn't be anything wrong, I don't think, with something like: "Joe's Ancient Orange Spice Mead by Summersolstice"; or just "Summersolstice's Ancient Orange Spice Mead" with a thanks to Joe in small letter's below.

Here's a link to one of Toolboxdiver's finished bottles, which he put his own name on, and which I think looks great:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=1499.msg21825#msg21825

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Um,

I think that while everyone is well intentioned on this issue, it's not that big of a deal. Once I put a recipe out there I feel that it is public domain so do with it what you will and call it what you like. Hell, I'd still be calling my Zinfandel "Vina Cerna" (black wine) if I were calling it what my family called it when they taught me how to make it a long time ago.

I think the real tribute is that you all see a recipe and try it and give good or bad feedback about the recipe and the end product. To me imitation is the highest compliment someone can pay me along with some favorable feedback; unless you're a petite redheaded nymph, and then we can work something out we can both enjoy ;)

Still trying to make this one happen: Oskaar and the nymphs

It's great to go places and have people offer me some mead that is a variant of one of my recipes with their own personal touch. It makes me feel great that someone was impressed enough with my recipe to imitate it.

Like a say, good meadmakers plagiarize, great meadmakers steal outright! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Geoo

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
Yeah.. I agree its not that big of a deal.. I was just curious what other people did that had been in it a while.

Geoo

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
When I have brought my rendition of Joe's Ancient Orange, I have listed it as recipe by:Joe Mattioli.

Several times I have been asked for the recipe. I refuse. Instead, I give them the address to this web site, and let them explore for themselves. I give them the tools to dig for gold themselves rather than hand it out to them.

I get far more requests for Joe's Ancient Orange than I ever get for my own! ::)

David

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
I have yet to make a mead from another persons recipe completely. If I were to take from another I would print "thanks dave" or whatever on the inside of the label.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I generally give credit to the recipe originator, something like *recipe inspired by* or *recipe courtesy of* or *original recipe created with the help of*
Let's face it, I feel that those that help us should get credit/props for the advice and hand holding ;D

Ted

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Odd, but all the way here in Israel, I put Joe's name on the labels of my Ancient Orange. Who here would know, or care? But I do, so I did. However, I don't feel such scruples about any other recipe I re-create.

Miriam

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Still trying to make this one happen: Oskaar and the nymphs

Oooh, Waterhouse...we have that print in our living room, it's one of my boyfriend's faves.

As for recipe naming, none of my meads have yet to see labels! When they do, if I make someone else's recipe, I'll do the fine-print thing.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have it in my bedroom! Along with several other Waterhouses to set the mood! LOL

cheers,

Oskaar

Alden

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2005
I give credit for recipes in my brewlog, but not on my labels.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns