• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Something for Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Background: I love words, I love weird words...I love to use weird words. So it's no surprise that my boyfriend got me a "Forgotten English" desk calendar for Xmas last year.

Today's word is: zimotechnica -- the art of making different wines

Today is also apparently the feast day of St Leopold, a patron of wine-makers, and traditionally starts the wine-making season in Austria (where Leopold is from).

This random fact brought to you by MyssMynx and a severe lack of coffee.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Wow, Mynx, what's it like after the first cuppa? :D

Miriam

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Not growing up catholic, I was never too familiar with any saints. But according to the owner of the local microbrewery, the largest group of saints in the catholic faith are beer saints, followed by wine saints, followed by the saints you pray to when you've had too much of either one!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Cool,

That's one to mark on the calendar!! Working on a coupla cups of Turkish Coffee at the moment!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Alden

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2005
Yep, the Forgotten English calendar. I have one on my desk too. :)

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I find those forgotten words very interesting. I don't know if this qualifies, but my favorite word is aught. It's a variation of ought, so it means "zero" or "nothing", but also has the definition of "anything"

Whereabouts would you get one of those calendars? B&N?

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I think the boy picked it up at Chapters, so B&N might have it :)

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
One of my favorites is yclept, meaning "called; named" - a word I find hysterically funny to look at. Although I think it was the late S.J. Perelman who found it nauseating. ;D

Miriam

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
My personal fave, for being a cool word to look at AND say is: miasma

Not to mention its meaning.

1. A noxious atmosphere or influence: “The family affection, the family expectations, seemed to permeate the atmosphere... like a coiling miasma” (Louis Auchincloss).
1. A poisonous atmosphere formerly thought to rise from swamps and putrid matter and cause disease.
2. A thick vaporous atmosphere or emanation: wreathed in a miasma of cigarette smoke.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns