• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Location of S.G.

Barrel Char Wood Products

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Does it matter where you measure to find the S.G. of a sample? Like in the neck of a one gallon jug? I'm just wondering because I racked today and took a measurement, and it came out to about 1.001 to 1.002, even though the mead is still relatively dark.

I don't know what the OG was, as I just recently got a hydrometer. The recipe was similar to Mac's Cherry Cyser, but I used 1.5 pounds mesquite and 1.5 pounds clover, and used 71B.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Usually you want to draw a sample out to test, if only to keep from contaminating your mead. No the location shouldn't matter and the darkness or lightness of your mead has no relation to it's gravity.

Wrathwilde

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks. I really should test in a tube, but I hate to do it in the hydrometer packaging. I guess I should order a testing tube.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Dunno why the tube it came in is a problem?

I used mine for 2 year (till I broke my hydrometer)

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Heheh, well I'm not big on sanitization, and didn't want to sanitize the hydrometer and the tube. I guess that's no excuse though.

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I never sanitize my hydrometer or tube, other than rinsing it out after I'm done with it. It doesn't come in contact with my batches, I usually use a scoop or baster to draw out the sample and put in the tube. After I'm done taking my gravity reading I get to take a taste test. :D

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Well this is wierd. I thought it was near done due to the low SG, but it seems the racking kicked it in the butt, because it started up again. But with an SG of 1.001-ish, it can't go much further, can it?

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I agree with you guys that sanitizing the tube may seem superfluous but i would rather take the 5 minutes it takes to sanitize with iodophore than take a chace. Mucho, you may not be big into sanitizing but the time it takes to sanitize is woth it rather than a spoiled batch. Have you ever tasted a spoiled batch of beer? I have, one of my friends became a believer in sanitizing after his batch went south. Wehad tears in our yes as we poured the beer down the sink. I usually put sanitizing solution in the tube and then put the hydrometer in. 5 minutes later, rinse wih hot water and airdry.

Cheers,
Ted

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I know I should get on it but I'm lazy, and don't want to wash something several times to get rid of the bleach. I looked at the sanitization poll, and many people seem to like iodophore, so I think I'll pick some of that up next time I order something.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I do like someone else mentioned and just rinse the hydrometer and 200 mL graduated cylinder since whatever touches those does NOT go back into the batch. However, the wine thief gets cleaned with No Rinse and then rinsed several times in scalding water before touching the batch. Every sample results in some spillage... because Oskaar corrupted me that way...

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Jeez, I want some spillage... I need to start making at least 3 gallon batches, cuz 1 gallon just ain't cuttin' it.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
mouko_yamamoto said:
Jeez, I want some spillage... I need to start making at least 3 gallon batches, cuz 1 gallon just ain't cuttin' it.

I thought 5 gallons would cut it, then I moved to 6.5... now for my acerglyn I plan on moving to 27 gallons. When You are shooting for extended aging of your meads, it's hard to get past a year or two with a 5 gallon batch, especially if sharing with friends & family.

Wrathwilde

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Wow, 27 gallons? I don't even have a pot big enough for 3 right now. Anyway, cyser still bubbling away happily, so I guess I'll take an FG when it's all done to see how far it dropped.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns