Thread: Raising Alcohol Content

1. Default Raising Alcohol Content

I know it's a childish thing to do ... but i don't care im still young yet. How do I raise my meads alcohol content whil keeping the taste and fermenting time relitively unchanged? And I say relitivly because there are bound to be some changes. My friends and I drink for pleasure but other times .. we drink to drink because thats what young men do haha. So rather than handing out bottle after bottle I'd like to give them one bottle that'll give them a real hit, then kick them while they're down haha. I was thinking 30-40% but really i think 20-25 would do very nicely. Thanks for any advise.

Default Re: Raising Alcohol Content

Yo Phoenix,

By starting with a high gravity must, or feeding (adding honey as the must ferments), you can ferment a mead to at least 18% using Lalvin DV10, EC-1118 and 20% with K1-V1116, providing proper conditions and nutrients.

I've had batchs go as high as 25% using K1-V.

Information on yeast ~ http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp ~

To calculate the must ~ http://www.gotmead.com/making-mead/m...lculator.shtml ~

The other method is to distill, you would have to contact your local ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) board for licensing information. Distillation without the proper permit will land you in jail.

Anthony

3. Default Re: Raising Alcohol Content

One lb of honey per litre of spring water will ferment out to something I can't calculate, but it kicks ass like no other.

Default Re: Raising Alcohol Content

SuperYeast says that it will ferment to 20% in 10 days. I haven't tried it yet, but I have a pack waiting for me to try.

I've run K1v to 23% but that was by feeding the must and it took quite a while. EC 1118 is supposed to be a faster fermenter, though I've never used it.

David
    David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com