• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Want to help move Gotmead into the new content management system?

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
If you'd like to see Gotmead become more intuitive, and be able to post your own recipe blogs and lots of other cool things, I need lots of grunt work done transferring data from the old layout to the new one.

Stuff that needs doing:

- enter glossary terms
- enter recipes
- enter content
- lots of other stuff

If you're interested, PM me, and I'll set you up with a editor login on the new site (at http://www.gotmead.com/index.php) and show you how to do the thing you'll be doing.

Meanwhile, folks, I'm going to be 'opening the doors' for folks to submit articles and lots of other stuff to the new content management system version of Gotmead. First thing to go on there will be Miriam's book, and Angus' article on newbie mead-making.

Interested? Then tell me what you'd like to see, what you'd like to put in, and what sorts of things we need to have there.

NOTE: The site is still in 'layout' mode, and all sorts of stuff is still either unpopulated or just plain not finished, so work with me here, this is a work-in-progress.

Vicky - off to help her daughter with her mythology project for a couple hours

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
What skills must one possess to help you out with these tasks? Is this just a simple matter of data entry, or are html/php skills needed?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Mostly data entry, though some areas will need a basic understanding of HTML. A lot is just copy and paste, pretty simple stuff.

Vicky - who has found some *cool* RSS feeds to add to the site

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi Vicky,
I have no clue of HTML but I can surely copy & paste!
Count me in to help the best I can! what I lack in skills, I'll make-up in motivation ;D
Cheers,

Ted

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I can lend a hand. I can cut and paste like a champ. My grasp of HTML is little at best, but I have been known to dabble.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks to all y'all who've responded here, in PM and via email!

What we need is specifically the following (for all you who asked):

- copy and paste the recipes on Gotmead into the new format

- copy and paste *valid* links from the old layout to the new layout. This is copy and paste, just gotta check if the link is live, and make sure to put it in the right category (I'll have those set up)

- enter the meadery data (copy and paste)

- enter the honey supplier data

- enter the equipment supplier data

- transfer articles (will require some HTML basics)

- copy and paste the MeadLoversDigest data (already set with HTML, copy and paste only required) - this one is *huge*, there are over 1000 digests out there

That is what I have right now.

If you want to play, then set up an account at http://www.gotmead.com/index.php (those of you that had problems, I fixed it, sorry), and let me know what you're interested in. I'll set up your access level and send instructions on how to get to the data (or send you a zip file with the data).

Vicky - pathetically grateful and heading back to figure out menu structures on CMS systems....

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey Vicky,
That is one SWEET looking site ;D
Sign me up for the C&P job! If you want to send Zip files, I can handle them, you tell me what you need me to do, PM me if you want, I'm ready ;D

Cheers,
Ted

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Want to tackle the meaderies? It's not for the faint of heart, you'd not just be c&p the data in the old site, you'd need to go to each meadery's site (it they have one) and get a list of their meads (some are wineries or breweries that make mead, we'd only want the mead) and put that in too.

Thanks for the complement on the site! I'm fairly happy with it....

Lemme know......

Vicky - working on menus for the new site today

Brewbear said:
Hey Vicky,
That is one SWEET looking site ;D
Sign me up for the C&P job! If you want to send Zip files, I can handle them, you tell me what you need me to do, PM me if you want, I'm ready ;D

Cheers,
Ted

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
It includes the recipes on the old site (and the BLII & I), recipes here in the forum and any others you think are good. There is a field for who originally submitted it, so you won't look like you created them all....LOL

Vicky

JamesP said:
I volunteer for the recipies.

Does that include Bees Lees II, or just the list of GotMead & submitted recipies (http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/gotmead-recipes.shtml) ?

Also, is there a way to add them without all the recipies appearing to be mine (I'm not that good!)?

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Meaderies??? I'll drink to that!!!
Shoud I make a document in Word and then C&P them, each as a separate entry?
I can do that. Let me know how you want it done, also, do we have a list now? Do you want them by state/country?

Cheers,
Ted

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
You can find my latest list here: http://www.gotmead.com/commercial-mead/index.shtml

Each will have its own entry. Don't worry about sorting them, the software will do that, once I get the code tweaked (working on that today after menus). We have US meaderies, Int. Meaderies, Brewshops, Honey suppliers and Stores that carry mead as the categories in the lists.

You can view the existing entries here: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_contxtd&catid=30&Itemid=55

If anyone wants to see other types of lists, lemme know. This doesn't include Links to personal mead websites, thats another section. (And on the list to get transferred). If you want to submit your own mead website, you'll need to sign up for an account on the new website. (Yeah, I know you've already got one here, but the bridge software for SMF to the new CMS isn't working right....::sigh::)

Vicky - whoohoo! I got flyout menus on the new site ::doing the menu Happy Dance::

Brewbear said:
Meaderies??? I'll drink to that!!!
Shoud I make a document in Word and then C&P them, each as a separate entry?
I can do that. Let me know how you want it done, also, do we have a list now? Do you want them by state/country?

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

two of your added recipies cannot be found, and it didn't take the one I tried to add.

I think the recipe database has got itself all mixed up.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yeah, I'm having issues. Its weird, they're all there in the table, but the system isn't seeing them. I'm working on it.

Vicky - working on the recipe layout too

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, happy DB for the recipes now. I had to go and manually fix the data. I'm trying to get a field in there for the recipe owner, but the php code isn't happy with the way I'm doing it, that's what messed up the index for the recipes.

James, the code is easy enough for me to figure out, but I'm missing something that messed up the cookbook_recipecategory table when I uploaded the new code and tried to add a recipe with the new field and then display it. I've got the code saved, but can't figure out where I'm dropping it (it's probably an extra ; or something......)

::sigh:: Nothing like reverse-engineering a recipe db.....

Vicky - learning PHP on the fly here

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

Some feedback to add to the list of things to get around to (maybe):
  • The Ingredients and the Direction & log notes overlap each other with long lines (eg,
    Black Raspberry Horilka)
  • It would be nice if there was a three-level tree listing of Mead, Mead Category, Recipe name (rather than the current two level listing)

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Strange you should mention those. I'm working on figuring out the recipe display, it worked with the original site template (which was a default template for Joomla, the CMS), but not with this one. I'm messing about with the PHP code (I've trashed the page about 20 times so far) to get it worked out.

The display from 2-level to 3 level *would* be good, except I expect to have several hundred recipes in there, and that will make a pretty long list. I'm working on getting it to display, tho.

Vicky - heading off to bed, only got 3 hours last night, and 6 am comes early...

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

a few questions on the recipies:

Where does Maple Mead fit in? (Answered this myself when I found out what Acerglyn was :-\ )

Where do the non-mead entries go (wine, Liqueurs,...) ?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have been adding initials (or something that identifies the author) as an addendum to common "Recipe Titles", to make each title quasi-unique.

I have left the added recipies as unauthorised recipies. So if the naming convention is OK, I will "authorise the recipies" - or better still, someone else can do a sanity check on them.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I have categories for Wine, Liqueurs and Beer, just gotta create the types. I'll try to do that today.

I don't suppose anyone can help me figure out why the new design is appearing too wide in IE? I've been up and down the code, and no joy so far. It looks fine in FF, but in IE it's about 5% too wide. I'll be happy to send the main template file to anyone who thinks they can see what I'm missing on getting this sucker to display correctly.......

Vicky - working on coding/layout changes today

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns