Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida, USA
    Posts
    350

    Default It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Here's a warning to everybody who tries to melt bees wax in the microwave, make sure the container is microwave proof. Just melted a pound of wax and had a major diaster, the container melted along with the wax. My dear wife is sitting in the next room and doesn't have the faintest idea of what I just did. When she finds out I'm going to get killed Well back to the cleanup, what she doesn't know won't hurt her, gotta work fast the end is near

  2. #2

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Oh I know how that feels. It was lunch time one fine day, and I was hungry, so I decided to cook some pasta. Alas in my haste I forgot to add water, and I smoked out the house lol….The microwave stunk so we had to get rid of it. Also iv put a jar in that happened to have a fine amount of foil on it, oh the arcing was amazing….Also never put eggs in there <im a curious person, and wondered if the microwave could hard boil my egg, it also scrabbles it, all over the microwave <blew the door off>>

    Moral of the story, don’t let me near your microwave…..Cook pastor on the stove were it’s meant to be cooked, in fact just use the stove..

    Mu.

  3. #3

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mu
    Cook pastor on the stove were it’s meant to be cooked, in fact just use the stove..
    Shouldn't Pastor be capitalized?

    Wrathwilde

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida, USA
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Dodged the bullet with this one, the wax stayed in the glass plate and didn't spill into the microwave. All that had to be done was slip the plate into the fridge to harden the wax and peel it off. Got caught at the very end of the cleanup, real lucky she didn't see the mess when I started. So I'm still alive to brew more mead.

  5. #5

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    probably, then again….Just ignore my quirky spelling. And good thing it didn’t leak, I should design a microwave that I can’t destroy

  6. #6

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Well, I've already confessed here that we don't have a TV...let me really slip back to the Iron Age and confess that I won't have a microwave either. Call me old-fashioned, but they creep me out. In fact my dream is to have a steady supply of chopped wood and a wood-burning stove...that would look neat in my apartment.

    Miriam
    Miriam the Mead Bubeh
    Israeli Kitchen www.mimi54.wordpress.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathwilde
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu
    Cook pastor on the stove were it’s meant to be cooked, in fact just use the stove..
    Shouldn't Pastor be capitalized?

    Wrathwilde
    Must have been a missionary.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

    "Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

  8. #8

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    I with you Miriam, won't have one in my home, and that's been a sore point with more then a couple of girlfriends. Microwaves are best left to radio detection and ranging.

    Happy mazing,

    Anthony

    p.s. don't try cooking a whole pack of hotdogs in the microwave.

  9. Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Boiling water works great on bee's wax. it melts it so it can be wiped up.

  10. Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    When researching melting bees wax for my bottling, I read SO MANY TIMES not to nuke it because the wax has a very low flash point. It's very easy to overheat it in the microwave and have it auto-ignite. Always use a double boiler because the water would limit it to 212 degrees.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida, USA
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    I'll keep that in mind for next time "Do Not Nuke Beeswax" will be posted on the microwave. Now what other trouble can I get into?

  12. #12

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Oh and if you ever use distilled water, from what I understand it doesn’t really boil. If you then add say, coffee to it after heating it in a microwave it’s liable to explode… That’s microwave safety 101 for today.

    We have a wood fired stove at home as well, it’s fantastic for drying herbs, I use it during the winter, but summer here is way to hot to simply rely on it.

    Mu.

  13. #13
    Marko DaBeest Gotmead Visitor

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Ha ha ha ha

    This microwave is my best work yet. You all come to rely upon it and take it for granted. It sits and waits for the right moment and then when the time is right it will nuke your soul when you push the defrost cycle. Ha ha ha ha

    Then you will be stuck in the third circle of Hell watching bad TV ha ha ha ha ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I'm talking shows like three wishes, numbers, invasion, related to name a few. Be ready to scream for eternity.

    DaBeest

  14. Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by memento
    When researching melting bees wax for my bottling, I read SO MANY TIMES not to nuke it because the wax has a very low flash point. It's very easy to overheat it in the microwave and have it auto-ignite. Always use a double boiler because the water would limit it to 212 degrees.
    I use beeswax in blacksmithing to coat steel and prevent deterioration, but if you put it on while the steel is too hot, the whole piece catches fire and drops flaming wax into the grass. Annoys my neighbors, but it gives me a chuckle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmntd
    Microwaves are best left to radio detection and ranging.
    I'm with you and Miriam on this one too. But then, I always felt I was meant for the Bronze Age.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    908

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    Mu,

    Good safety warning, but it actually applies to any water. If you nuke water in a vessel that is extremely smooth, the steam has no sharp edges to form on as bubbles. The water then becomes super heated. Then when you either move the container or add anything to it (such as coffee), the bubbles will form extremely rapidly, causing a gyser of boiling water to erupt. This is extremely dangerous. If you are boiling water on it´s own, make sure the vessel you are using has some roughness to it, or add something safe to the water like a plastic spoon or a glass bead.

    Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

    A feast is no use without good talk.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    860

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    I had a chemistry teacher who demonstrated this during our first day in class. He used a new pyrex beaker and an alcohol burner to demonstrate the super heated water phenomenon. I've had it happen in the microwave with a mug of water destined to be instant coffee. All it did was make a mess, but I take it more seriously than I used to.

    I grew up spending summers in a cabin on a lake in a remote corner of Michigan's upper peninsula. It was a beatiful place and peaceful without electricity or phones. We were about 20 miles out of town and at least 15 miles from the nearest power line. So I love a wood burning cook stove, gas or kerosine lanterns, and nothing is better than a stew slow simmered on that old cook stove...
    Today the cabin has all the modern luxuries: running water, central heat, electricity, and yes a microwave...

    I'll remember to keep the beeswax out of the microwave

    David

    David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

    www.michiganmeadery.com

  18. #18

    Default Re: It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

    I never did have a wood-burning stove, but I lived in the north of Israel, in the rural mountaintop town of Safed, for five years - and in that house I had a big kerosene stove with a chimney. I loved that cranky old guy: it kept us warm, it made a comforting rumbling noise while it was doing its fire-eating act, and I used it not only to dry herbs and fruit leathers on, I also put sourdough to rise there, and even cooked overnight Sabbath stews on it. I miss that stove sometimes.

    The house was at least 120 years old; had suffered a bomb attack during the War of Independence and was also haunted. I don't miss the ghosts.

    Miriam
    Miriam the Mead Bubeh
    Israeli Kitchen www.mimi54.wordpress.com

Similar Threads

  1. How big is a gallon and can you microwave honey??
    By jdgood in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
  2. WANTED: a relatively fool proof recipe
    By Helios in forum Archives
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 05:39 AM
  3. WANTED: a relatively fool proof recipe
    By Helios in forum Archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •