• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Podcasting on Gotmead - First one at the MeadFest

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, I just dropped some cash on podcasting equipment. The plan is to be able to both do on-site interviews here, via the phone or in person, plus go on the road to do interviews and such at meaderies, the MeadFest and other places. So, the inagural GM Podcast (barring shipping delays and product issues) will happen at the International Mead Festival.

What I need from y'all is this: what all should we podcast? I'm thinking meadery owners, the awards, maybe the talks, GM'er interviews. Anything else you'd like to see?

Here's what I got:

Dell Latitude 630M Laptop

Travel Kit:
- Shure SM48S-LC Microphone
- Audio-Technica PRO 8HEx Headset Microphone
- Planet Waves Male 1/8" Stereo-Dual 1/4" Female
- Pro Tec Studio Production Carry-All Bag
- American Recorder (ART) XLR Female to 1/4' 1/8'; Male Mono Adapter Nickel
- Olympus DM-10 Digital Voice Recorder

At Home Setup:
* Alesis Multimix 8USB 8 Channel Mixer
* Cakewalk Pyro 2004 MP3 & CD Maker software
* 2 MXL V63M Condenser Studio Microphones
* 2 Musician's Friend Low Profile Die-cast Mic Stands
* 2 - 20' Lo-Z mic cables
* AKG K44 Headphones

So, if you were thinking about getting a copy of the St. Winston's story (you can use your credit card by clicking the button in the right hand column at http://www.gotmead.com/index.php), or buying something in the GM Gear store, now would be good. This girl is *broke-broke-broke*, and I've spent all my paying work getting this set up. If you know a meadery or brew shop that you think would benefit from an ad, banners are only $30/month, and text ads $10/month. I'm down about $2500 here guys, so push' 'em this way!

Vicky - awaiting arrival of the Podcast stuff so I can figure out how to use it

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
*bump* C'mon guys. Y'all were the ones that *started* this whole podcasting idea. I've gone and gotten the tools, but it'll all be a waste of cash if I don't get input from the folks here on what y'all want to hear.

Read the post above, and *please* take some time to give me feedback. I've wasted my cash and what little free time I have if I create these things and nobody listens.....

Vicky - I really do need your input

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry Vicky, missed this one.

As we talked before, White Winter Winery Sweet Mead is an incredible concoction. This is in fact the Mead I will strive to recreate (or come close to), but I have so many questions. For example, what type of honey do they use? What yeast? Do they back sweeten (they must for this one)? How do they get it so light and clear? How long do they age it? What BRIX do they start with? etc. etc. etc.

So, what I would love to hear are interviews with the Meaderies giving as much info as they feel comfortable with. Discussions with the owners or brewers, giving tips and suggestions, even recipes if you can get it out of them.

Also, discussions with equipment manufacturers on the correct or best way to use their equipment.

And of course, to actually hear the voices of other GM members describe their worst disastors would be a hoot.

Angus

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Good, now *this* is the kind of data I need. Keep it coming, guys. So, Angus has weighed in (and bought a copy of St. Winstons - thanx Angus!), what about the other hundreds of you?

Vicky - standing here, tapping my foot and giving y'all the 'mom eye'

Hmmm?

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
I like Angus's suggestion a LOT... interview Mike Faul (or any other experienced meadery) about his (or her)experience in starting a meadery. Also, any tips that he would like to share to make better mead.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hee-hee. Just sent Mike an email telling him I want to interview him at the fest. ::rubbing my hands:: I'm gonna have *so* much fun......

Alright, who is going to volunteer to bring me glasses of mead while I'm spending the entire fest interviewing people.....LOL

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
I'm not sure I have much to add to Angus and Steve's great suggestions. I agree I'd love to get the inside scoop on commercial meads, general tips, discussions of the trials and tribulations of meadery startups. I know there will be a great many experienced and accomplished mazers at the meadfest. Interview the great meadmakers, commercial and hobbyists alike. Perhaps you could even get interviews with representatives from Lalvin, Whitelabs or other yeast manufacturers, equipment manufacturers, etc.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::scribbling:: Good ideas, 'thread. I know White Labs will be there. Don't know about the rest, though. I'll see who I can find.....

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
Then definitely an interview with White Labs! As much info as possible on their liquid yeasts. Everything from "How does the sweet mead yeast know when to stop" to their methods for producing consistent yeasts year after year.

Interviews with the judges. Maybe some GMers would like to tell the story of their "first time" and how they got into mead?

Do you have the ability to do interviews over the phone?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I have to get a couple more bits of equipment to do phone interviews. I'm currently considering using Skype to do it, just gotta figure out the equipment logistics.

I'll note down your comments for White Labs to ask if I can get an interview with him. Judges: well, *I'm* one, but I was planning on getting a couple of the guys I know that will be there.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Meadery tours sound great, also mead gatherings like the International Mead Festival. The AHA Nationals, Meadlennium, ect., ect.

Interviews at the various Ren Faires would also be good.

You might want to take a look at the Australian Craftbrewing site for more ideas on podcasts. Got to: http://oz.craftbrewer.org/ ; click on the library tab and scroll downwards until you hit the sound archives. There you'll see podcast files for the North Queensland Craftbrewers radio show, hosted by Graham Sanders. Good stuff there!

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I've not used skype, but I understand that it runs through p2p on your PC. That means that simple audio capture software on your PC should work. For example "Audio Hijack" (but that's for OSX).

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I'd like to hear about wine and shipping laws, and what people are doing to improve things (dammit! *shakes fist in rage*).

We're pretty much on lockdown here in Michigan. :(

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
How about a gadget corner? Either home made or commercial, do they work or suck out loud!
A newbee section, since Angus is fielding that....
Might want to get in touch with the guys at www.thebrewingnetwork.com they work closely with B3 and want to include other podcasts on their network. Not so sure why other podcasters, mainly beer shows do not want to link with them, possilbly each one wants "a piece o' the pie"? Asking doesn't cost anything.
Tricks of the trade from the "big" guys, marketing your product....

Cheers,
Brewbear - racking brain for more ideas

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
In terms of money you could do what that kid did on the news…. Make a page here for adds have a million pixels and sell each one for $1 send some e-mails of to some brewing companies and other brewing websites. You never know it’s cheap permanent adds, and you might just end up with a million dollars, that kid on the news sure did.

Mu.

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I sent in an order for two shirts to support the cause. Well, that and because I had a huge stain on my viking. ::)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Last time I had a stain on my "Viking" was during the 2002 crush in Lodi one of the ladies there and I decided to . . . oh OH, you were talking about the Viking on the tee-shirt. Never mind.

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns