View Poll Results: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm ok with a 'show sponsor' at the beginning and end.

8 38.10%
  • The occasional 15 second spot works for me

4 19.05%
  • Hey, whatever it takes

9 42.86%
  • Screw advertising - you shouldn't sell out

0 0%

Thread: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Default New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Advertising? Is it ok? Will you be pissed if I have it on the podcast?

I'm trying to keep GM free, but frankly, it costs a lot of money to keep growing it. So I'm looking at advertising. Now, I will *not* offer up ads from just anyone, but from the homebrewers, honey suppliers, meaderies and other things related to our hobby here.

I'm considering either 1) Selling each show to a single sponsor, i.e. "This edition of the Gotmead Show brought to you by Redstone Meadery", or 2) having 2-3 15 second spots for various advertisers.

The shows will be from 20-30 minutes long (recommended by the Podcast Brothers as the best length to avoid boredom), so it won't be like TV.

So, tell me what you think. Will advertising keep you from listening? Will you maybe be interested to hear the new toys or products that might be offered up?

Gimme your worst, people.

Vicky - listening to schoolofpodcasting.com just now.....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

2. Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Do what needs done Vicky. Adds will not ruin the podcast.

Greenblood

Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Ads are fine. Even 4 15 second slots out of 20-30 minutes is a pittance to pay for all that we get out of the site.

Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

Do what it takes, Hell pimp me out if you need to. It's all good!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Ok, I *will* pimp you out. Now hurry up and get into those fishnet stockings! And stuff that cleavage some more, we want the Johns to like what they see! ::gd&r::
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

6. Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Do whatever it takes, all the podcasts I've listened to so far have ads in them. That includes 2 or 3 self promos too!

Cheers,
    Brewbear
    As a second thought, Oskaar in fishnet stockings and flashing a cleavage....now that's something I'd like to see I'm thinking videocast

7. Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

I do think that there is a mutual benefit to a little bit of advertising. It spreads the word of mead.

That's my thought too. There's a mutual benefit here. You get the buck$ you need to pump into GM, and meadery people get some great advertising. In the long run, everyone wins. The public hears more about mead both through advertising and through the podcasts.

Think about it -- how many visitors come to this site? A lot! That's something meadery people would be very interested in.

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

9. Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

The world of podcasting is all about promotion, be it advertising or self promotion. I listen to TWiT all the time, and even though they don't do "ads" they still talk a hell alot about themselves and their blogs.

Sponsors are fine, just don't do a Price is Right, unless you plan on giving away "A new car!!". :P

10. Default Re: New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Many comercial business owners are getting into the sponsorship mood these days and offer small items that are used as prizes on podcasts. I am thinking of the brewing network, northernbrewer.com put up a complete kegging system that will be awarded on the show. They have a 4 week qualification period and then they'll choose a winner. It's like a game with several ways to qualify but the main thing is that the number of people listening is growing almost exponentially!
    Do they advertize? You bet your sweet .... and self promos on top of that. The show started almost 7 months ago and the way they got the word out was to have one person post about the show on a bunch of forums. They have a stump the brewer section and if you stump him, you get a T-shirt from that brewery! Just one idea/comment on ads.

Cheers,
    Brewbear