• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New Poll: Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Is advertising OK on the GM Podcast?

• Screw advertising - you shouldn't sell out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Advertising? Is it ok? Will you be pissed if I have it on the podcast?

I'm trying to keep GM free, but frankly, it costs a lot of money to keep growing it. So I'm looking at advertising. Now, I will *not* offer up ads from just anyone, but from the homebrewers, honey suppliers, meaderies and other things related to our hobby here.

I'm considering either 1) Selling each show to a single sponsor, i.e. "This edition of the Gotmead Show brought to you by Redstone Meadery", or 2) having 2-3 15 second spots for various advertisers.

The shows will be from 20-30 minutes long (recommended by the Podcast Brothers as the best length to avoid boredom), so it won't be like TV.

So, tell me what you think. Will advertising keep you from listening? Will you maybe be interested to hear the new toys or products that might be offered up?

Gimme your worst, people.

Vicky - listening to schoolofpodcasting.com just now.....

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Ads are fine. Even 4 15 second slots out of 20-30 minutes is a pittance to pay for all that we get out of the site.

Angus

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Do what it takes, Hell pimp me out if you need to. It's all good!

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Ok, I *will* pimp you out. Now hurry up and get into those fishnet stockings! And stuff that cleavage some more, we want the Johns to like what they see! ::gd&r::

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Do whatever it takes, all the podcasts I've listened to so far have ads in them. That includes 2 or 3 self promos too!

Cheers,
Brewbear
As a second thought, Oskaar in fishnet stockings and flashing a cleavage....now that's something I'd like to see :D I'm thinking videocast ;D ;D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
That's my thought too. There's a mutual benefit here. You get the buck$ you need to pump into GM, and meadery people get some great advertising. In the long run, everyone wins. The public hears more about mead both through advertising and through the podcasts.

Think about it -- how many visitors come to this site? A lot! That's something meadery people would be very interested in.

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
The world of podcasting is all about promotion, be it advertising or self promotion. I listen to TWiT all the time, and even though they don't do "ads" they still talk a hell alot about themselves and their blogs.

Sponsors are fine, just don't do a Price is Right, unless you plan on giving away "A new car!!". :p

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Many comercial business owners are getting into the sponsorship mood these days and offer small items that are used as prizes on podcasts. I am thinking of the brewing network, northernbrewer.com put up a complete kegging system that will be awarded on the show. They have a 4 week qualification period and then they'll choose a winner. It's like a game with several ways to qualify but the main thing is that the number of people listening is growing almost exponentially!
Do they advertize? You bet your sweet .... and self promos on top of that. The show started almost 7 months ago and the way they got the word out was to have one person post about the show on a bunch of forums. They have a stump the brewer section and if you stump him, you get a T-shirt from that brewery! Just one idea/comment on ads.

Cheers,
Brewbear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns