• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Jays Brew - GM's own brew shop

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, here's your chance. Tell me what you want in a perfect world. If your mead-brewing shop has everything, what would that be?

Give us your ideal supply lists. Include honey, equipment, tools, adjuncts, herbs, etc. Tell us what you want, we'll try to get up on the GM store.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Monica Bellucci, a truck full of honey, 2 iguanas, a case of Veuve Clicquot Brut Rose (1985 Millennium Disgorged), a straight jacket, some marbles, mangos, two blind korean massage girls, the London Times crossword, a bottle of lidocaine and full brisket of beef. I'll do the rest!

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I am *so* gonna smack you when I pick you up at the airport, bud. Get serious here! We have our own captive brewshop, Jay is one of us, and will work with us.

Lists, Oskaar. *Serious* lists. Now.

::momglare::

Vicky - working on the product spreadsheets at the moment

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar said:
two blind korean massage girls

I'll second that, although I perfer bound, not blind. ;)

Close to Wholesale Price 27 gallon SS Fermenator conicals from Blichman Engineering, It's on my wish list. Like to get it for less than the advertised $700.

Wrathwilde

Charlene

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2005
Shipping to Canada by FedEx and/or regular mail! UPS to Canada is a horror - they charge up to $25 just to bring the package through customs. FedEx and the postal service are far more reasonable.

Also numerous types of yeast, additives, and various types of honey.

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
Well as usual, I have a few thoughts..
I doubt this suggestion will make me popular on the west coast, but there any chance of talking the "they" into having some of the rarer yeasts like DV-10 and such? In other sizes than 50lb bricks?? And how about having all the Go-ferm, Ferm-Aid and other mythical/"standard" nutrients in one place and routinely availible, instead of having to go hunting across 6 companies to find it?? The Ez-Off/Grolsch style 1L and .5L in cobalt blue or brown(without the stupid little grains etched in the glass) would be something I would be interested in if they could get them at a decent price(<$30 a case) and routinely get them.
just a few thoughts..
hedgehog

(vickie, not to harp on the subject, but did you get that email?? had several vanish on me...)

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Hedgehog, carrying DV10 (or any speciality yeast) in 5 or 8 gram packs would require them to purchase a special sterile environment clean table and other packaging equipment... a several thousand dollar investment. I think it's best to let Morebeer continue to do the speciality yeasts as they already have the equipment. At $1.25 a pack you'd have to sell a boatload of yeast before you even started to see a return on your investment.

Vicky, does he have a walk in freezer? I'm trying to get the Concentrate company I'm in contact with to start marketing to home brewers, Trouble is their concentrates need to be kept frozen.

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Dunno, Wrathe....I kicked a mail to him letting him know we're talking about it, so he should pop up sometime soon to check out the thread.

Vicky

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I second the Shipping to Canada bit, as well as the FermAid etc comment. I cant get anything but a generic nutrient at my shop, which is fine normally, but I'd like to have access to it.

Also, things for beer makers as well... Wort chillers etc, some specialty malts/grains, stuff like that

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
Hello everybody. Here's a little info about my store.

I'm a local homebrew shop located in Northern Virginia. So I certainly should have all of the "normal" items for brewing and winemaking that you'd expect. And here's a link to one of my main distributors so you can peruse this catalog and know that I can get anything in there:

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/ptoc.htm

You will see wort chillers, grains, extracts, hops, and more in that catalog.

In addition to the usual stuff, however, I am of course an avid meadmaker - and that's why I've been a part of the Gotmead community for some time. It also means that I carry some things in the shop that most homebrew shops don't have. Notably, in small vial amounts:

Fermaid K
Go-ferm
DAP

Sometimes honey (see below).
Wine Shippers (see below).

To answer some specific questions that popped up:

While I don't have access to the Blichman tanks, I can get some variable capacity tanks. In fact, I have a pair of 700L tanks in my garage right now that will soon be used for some mead. Here is the list of tanks:

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Chapter 04.htm#Stainless Steel Tanks

WW is quite correct that I cannot get 5g packets of every type of dried yeast. I can get 500g packages of just about any dried yeast. In addition to the dried, I carry White Labs and Wyeast liquid yeasts. All liquid yeasts are shipped with a cold pack free of charge.

WW, I don't have a walk in freezer, but I have 5 refrigerators and freezers for hops, yeast, etc... how large are the concentrate containers?

I'll have to look into Fedex to Canada. In the past, I've only used UPS and USPS for mail order.

As for honey, it's not a regular item that I carry. I do have relationships with many beekeepers and will occassionally do a bulk purchase for myself and customers. For instance, last summer I picked up about a dozen pails of Persimmon and Sourwood honey from North Carolina. Prices and availability vary wildly, however.

I do stock flip-top bottles in .5L and 1L sizes. They come in clear, brown, and blue. I don't normally ship bottles, however, due to the constant breakage problems. Perhaps exceptions could be made for Gotmead customers.

Speaking of bottles, I have a question for you guys. As I mentioned above, I carry "wine shippers". These consist of a package and box set that allows you to safely ship wine bottles. I currently have 3-bottle pulp paper type shippers. Styrofoam ones are also available. Sizes available include 1, 2, 3, 6, and 12 bottles.

I just started carrying these. Is there interest in the shippers? I'd like to know what bottle capacity people would be most interested in. Naturally, it's possible to put less bottles in the box.

Cheers,
Jay

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Jay, you didn't *tell* me about some of this stuff! Send me particulars, dude, and the rest of those pix. I've got most of your stuff programmed and ready to upload.......the store will go online this week, I hope!

Vicky - tracking down a programming issue right now

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
Every week spent with a child under 2 lowers your IQ a point. I can't be held responsible for any conversation we may or may not have had. ;D

I know I *meant* to give you that LD Carlson link and to mention the free cold pack thingy so that you could put that into the store pages. The notion was floating around in my mental to do list.

I will get you more pix soon. Hopefully tonight.

Cheers,
Jay

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
LOL! Yeah, I can get you heather tips. A brewing buddy of mine set out to clone that Scottish Heather Ale (Froch??) and got a bunch of the stuff one time. It turned out pretty darned good.

Cheers,
Jay

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Awesome, cause a heather ale is on my list of beers to brew this year.

/goes to check the state of her credit card :D

Geoffrey Johnson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2005
Jay

when is your next honey run? I only have 2 gallons of persimmons left...

I have to start saving money for you to strong arm me into buying another 60#'er. :-[ ::)

Geoffrey

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
Geoff,

Well, it probably won't be until the new honey comes in the spring/summer. Which actually means that I'll be pre-ordering some fairly soon. I'll be shooting an email to my email list (for those who want to sign up, go to www.jaysbrewing.com) and I'll post a thread here, too.

Did you like the persimmon? I may order from the same place again.

Cheers,
Jay

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Jay, I need a 60# pail too. Persimmon sounds yummy. Tag one for me? I'll drive up and get it, and we can share bottles and such......

Vicky - taking a few minutes to surf up some good historical fiction in the library online site......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns