Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

1. Default IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

For the IMF - meadfest - Is there any listing of which homemade meads make it to the second round of tastings?

Steve

Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

Hey Steve,

Been wondering the same thing myself. Check my email daily hoping to at least get word as to how it scored.

Anthony

They got all the judging done, but I suspect that they're scrambling to assemble the 1st round data for output and put together the Festival at the same time. A massive task.

Bear with 'em guys, they're short staffed and *way* overtasked. They'll get it out soon, I'm sure.
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

4. Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

Thanks Vickie! The info is much appreciated... BTW, nice job on the forum redesign!

Steve

We're not publishing out who is moving on to the finals for a number of reasons, numbers being the operative. There were 212 entries!

212 . . . bask bask bask. I gotta tell you all what a great affirmation of home meadmaking that number is, and how great it is to be associated with such a diverse and passionate group of people who have really taken meadmaking and dragged it up the ladder a few rungs closer to the mainstream.

But I digress . . . anyhow . . .we're not publishing out mainly because of the logistics this year being a first year event and such, also because we hope to motivate more people to attend to see the "reveal" of the finalists and winners of each category. Besides, where else are you going to be walking around and rubbing elbows with guys like Ken Schramm, Dick Dunn, Vicky, David Myers, Mike Faul . . . need I go on?

So it's three quarters planning, one quarter flash, and a lot of love!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

6. Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

One more reason to attend Mead Fest this year...
    HONEY!!!
    www.BeeFolks.com has generously supplied some prizes for the winners, but will also be giving a limited time discount to everyone in attendance this year! Yes, that is right, EVERYONE in attendance will get a discount coupon for www.BeeFolks.com.

Not to pimp them too much, but I have a 6 gallon batch of Apple Blossom honey fermenting right now and WOW, is it great! It has a very distictive apple flavor finish and it is still fermenting! I am curious to try their Christmasberry and Cranberry honeys in a recipe sometime!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar
    We're not publishing out mainly because of the logistics this year being a first year event and such, also because we hope to motivate more people to attend to see the "reveal" of the finalists and winners of each category.
    Cheers,
    Oskaar
    Thats perfect for those who can attend, for the rest whom are checking email daily to see how they did it's a crock of shit!!!

Anthony

I understand your frustration, but they've only just gotten the info all collated, and in 2 days, we do the medal round. Plus, all the prep work for the Festival proper is also going on (and has been for several months at breakneck speed by too few people), a *huge* undertaking, and most of the people that volunteer for the Festival *aren't* local, including nearly all of the Home Competition Committee (most of which are people from here).

Oskaar and I have already been tapped to help out once we get there Thursday, along with a pile of other people, and if this year is like last year, activity will be frantic right down to the opening event.

Anthony, I know you're itching to know, we all are. But remember this isn't just the Home Competition, it's part of the overall Festival, *and* its a 2-tier event, so there is a *boatload* more stuff to coordinate. I'm sure the next one will go faster and smoother, and will get better with each passing year.

This is the first year we've done this, and we're running as fast as we can, dude. Don't worry, the details will be out soon....they have to be, we announce this weekend. At *worst*, I'll record the whole thing and transcribe it here while I'm there, ok?
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

Hey Dude,

I understand what you're saying. This is a first year event and there are some strategic decisions that were made early on that in hindsight should have been made differently. But because of the way things are structured this year as a first year event, we were modeling the competition within the context of coordinating with the IMA Commercial Competition. Getting several warm bodies to wrangle 212 bottles of mead for the entries didn't happen, and fell on to just one body (thanks Deborah) who did a fantastic job coordinating the first round of judging and moving the finalists along to the next round.

Also, like it or not there is a certain amount of marketing that has to go with this event because of it's attachment to, and origins in the International Mead Association which is a commercial meadery driven organization. There wouldn't be a Home Mead Maker Competition this year if the IMA had not funded it, and also spent some considerable coin on awards and swag.

Bottom line is there is plenty of room for improvement and we need more people. Consider yourself drafted onto the committee for next year's Home Mead Maker competition. I'll put you in charge of logistics for acknowledging receipt of entries, and notifying entrants who will be moving to the second round.

Welcome to the IMA Home Mead Makers Competition Committee for 2007.

Cheers,

Oskaar

LOL.....you're gonna scare him off, Oskaar........
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

11. Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

Since I started this thread, I'm jumping in... I believe it there was communication that the results from the first round judging would be made available. Then, that information was changed.

I can just imagine the logistics of handling that many entries... However, the expectation was that the list of first round entries, moving on, would be made known.

Being the first year and all, I have no issues with the change, I think in the future, it's better to clearly state and stick to an overall plan.

Perhaps next year I can make it, it would be awesome to meet the folks involved and be involved in the judging.

Steve

meadwench Gotmead Visitor

A valid point, Steve. The original intention *was* to try to get the results out. But, the large number of entries, plus the smaller than hoped-for group of people who could get to CO to help out, *and* the MeadFest prep issues being as heavy as they were, we were over-ambitious.

As Oskaar says, this is our first year, and these are growing pains. Most of us in the committee are putting on a competition for the first time, so we're learning as we go, and running as fast as we can.

If this competition happened, like Meadllenium or many others, where the group putting it on *lives*, we'd be a lot more able to get it all done quicker. But, since it takes place in CO, and I think with 2 exceptions, none of us *live* in CO, it was a lot harder than we hoped to get it all done. Several people flew in just for that, and will do so again for the Festival, just a few weeks later.

Given the size of this, honestly, I'm amazed its gone *this* smoothly. I would imagine that any group would have problems. When you're trying to do a competition this large, in conjunction with a commercial competition (with over 100 entries) and putting on a weekend-long festival at the same time, with around 20 people able to put part-time into it around their jobs, it gets a bit difficult to make it all fall right on the nose.

Welcome to the forum Vicky.

Do you realize you have the same name as our wonderful Webwench?

Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

I understand the amount of effort and commitment those involved with this event have dedicated, I am kindly disposed for the work they've done. I can also see that it's difficult to post results which have yet to come in.

What I had no way of knowing, is the task of handling all the entries fell on one person. Thats got to be like wrangling feral cats.

I was thinking of others waiting for the results, more so anyone having entered the contest whom is not a forum member (if there are any), I'll be there friday.

Heh... Takes more then the threat of a little work to scare me . I'd be willing to help as I can.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

Whoo hoo! Another committee member . . . I love my job! LOL

Great! We'll look forward to working with you Anthony, I know you'll make a postive contribution to the team for next year and beyond!

Oskaar

So, you think I'm wonderful, eh Angus? That's me, I must've been logged in on my test ID.....LOL

Vicky - using the other personality now, that was my evil twin....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

17. Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

You know, I was in programming class while viewing the forum (as usual), and saw "Vicky the Gotmead Webwench," and "Vicky Rowe," on at the same time. Talk about confusing!

But I thought she...? But isn't her name...? My head hurts.

18. Default Re: IMF - Meadfest - Home competition?

It's that dual personality thing...

Blast those evil twins!

Watch out for your Mead. They tend to drink it all when your back is turned.

Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

...and drink twice as much when it's not.

Wrathwilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast