• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question about Joe's Ancient Orange recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products

jwickham

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2006
So...last night I started my first ever brewing experiment following the Joe's Ancient Orange recipe to the letter. The only thing that has me worried is that it said to leave several inches of space for foam and whatnot, while at the highest that I saw there was maybe a quarter of an inch.

I can see small bubbles rising if I stick a flashlight under my sink so I can see, so I assume that it is fermenting. I used 1 Teaspoon of Flieshmann's Quick-Rise baking yeast as it was the only yeast I saw with the Flieshmann's brand name on it.

Does this sound like it is progressing as it should?

Thanks in advance for the input!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I've used the quick rising Fleishman's and haven't been happy with it.

Not to say that it won't, but don't be surprised if it quits fermenting around 1.04 specific gravity.

I've had the AO recipe foam like mad, and I've had it hardly foam at all... don't really know why the difference.

David

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Quick Rise yeast usually has sorbitan monostearate and ascorbic acid added to it. Sorbitan monostearate helps yeast rehydrate faster and ascorbic acid makes the dough stronger.

Regular or "Active Dry" yeast is just yeast, no added chemicals.

Here's Fleischmann's product's page: http://www.breadworld.com/sciencehistory/yeast.asp

jwickham

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2006
Hmmmm...well should I:

A) Let the batch run through as is and pray it turns out.
B) Grab some Active Yeast from the store and add it to the current concoction.
C) Write the 10 dollars off as a lesson learned and start a new batch with active yeast instead of the Quick Rise stuff.

Since I am less then 48 hours in, would like to make sure things are going smooth now rather than getting an icky final product.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
NOT C. It won't be wrecked.

If it stops fermenting, I'd check the SG, and if there is still heaps of honey (SG > 1.020 ??) then do B), else do A)

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
jwickham said:
C) Write the 10 dollars off as a lesson learned and start a new batch with active yeast instead of the Quick Rise stuff.

Well since it's time to start thinking about taxes (I lie... I've already finished mine) if you can find a way to write your ingredients off let us know. It would be quite a tax break for some of us, Oskaar could probably afford to pick up another redhead. ;)

Wrathwilde

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
My batch of AO finnished at 1.022. I used Flieshmann's Rapid Rise (or whatever it's called) yeast as well, I'm not sure how batches with regular bread yeast finish out.

Is your batch actually foaming or is it just sitting there? Mine foamed like mad, even getting into the airlock with a good three inches of headspace.

I never saw signs of active fermentation in any of my batches save for airlock activity.

I would just toss it into a closet and forget about it for a month or so and start another batch.

jwickham

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2006
Well...it has a few bubbles on top...but not really enough that I would call it "foam." Of course I am sitting at sea level...wonder if that has anything to do with its behavior?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns