• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Recomendations for my first Mead,..

Barrel Char Wood Products

Voltaire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hi everyone,

Ive been looking at this forum for a few weeks now and have been thrilled with the ammount of information ive found on the subject,..
Im really anxious to start my mead drinking experiences, and to share them with my freinds, but i just cant decide on what I want to start with,...

Ive read more reviews here than I thought I ever could, but none of them so far that ive seen, account for a first timer, like myself..
really im just looking for something that will get me going on the right foot with mead,..
something that my more critical freinds might also enjoy,...
and more importantly something I can by online, as i have had trouble finding mead locally,...

for my first experience moneys really not a problem, really taste is all im concerned about...

So far without any recomendations im just leaning toward the more viking oriented brewerys like heimrun and of course the Viking brewing company simply because of there images...
I know this is probably the worst possible way to pick a mead, so I humbly ask for your expert oppinions..

If you could pick one mead to begin your mead drinking experience what would it be?

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
My recommendation would be Jadwiga - the 25 year old if you can find it, but the 6 year is still escellent.

Second choice I'd second the nomination of White Winter Sweet - or Dry. Both are very good.

David

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Wrathwilde said:
Wrathwilde (Who is still awaiting meads from two GotMead members. Looks at watch... taps foot... Taps Keyboard... Taps personal Mead Supply... Taps to be played soon for a couple of Members. :p ;D ;D ;D ;) )

In the mail Friday. Consider it aged a little more ;)

Angus

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Angus - Recieved your mead

Angus,

I got it yesterday. I notice the pitch date was 08/2005 so I'm going to let it age a few more months before trying. Beautifully clear though. Is the cork a Nomacorc Synthetic or another brand? I've been thinking of switching over. What type of corker do you use?

Wrathwilde

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
WW,

Excellent :D. Yes, the corks are Nomacorc Synthetic. They seem to work well, although they do bulge out a little at the top. The corker I use is the Double Lever with the spring bottle holder:

double-lever-corker.jpg

Easy to use even with only one person doing it. And cheap too!

Angus

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Hell.. I forgot... I have one of those, haven't used it yet as all my bottles have been screw top. Have to dig it out somewhere, although I've been thinking of getting the table top model...

5421.jpg

Wrathwilde

artmc

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2004
David Baldwin said:
My recommendation would be Jadwiga - the 25 year old if you can find it, but the 6 year is still escellent.

Second choice I'd second the nomination of White Winter Sweet - or Dry. Both are very good.

David

Let me second the recomendation for Jadwiga.

Though I have been unable to find any of the 25 year old aged bottles.

It is very sweet so please be aware. The 6 year old aged is just fantastic.

Jadwiga is produced by APIS in Poland. The english page is: http://www.apis.pl/?en-miodypitne-poltoraki-jadwiga

It is distrubuted in the US by Stawski distributing
http://www.stawskidistributing.com

I really like the look of the Wicker Basket
;D

* art *

flatlandfiddler

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 19, 2005
Question folks - the one bottle of white winter sweet mead I had was possessed of a nasty garbage pile smell. Was really pretty though. Did I get a bad bottle?

Still looking for decent commerical mead (Jadigwa is nice though)....

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Fiddler,

Never smelt that before. All of the bottles that I have had smelt of a light honey, sweet and pleasant. Sounds like a bad bottle.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns