Thread: Mead Fest Comments

Default Mead Fest Comments

I am spreading the word. I have tried to be honest and diplomatic, which I have always hoped are hallmarks of our craft. Please see:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...421#post979421

Yours,
    Ken
    It's time for some woodshedding, Willie Mae. The blue light was my blues, and the red light was my mind.

Default Re: Mead Fest Comments

Excellent post, Ken! I read it with great interest, and hope we can make some strides this year in the IMA towards providing more standards in mead judging for the next Festival.
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

3. Default Re: Mead Fest Comments

Enjoyed the post, Ken.

On a side note, thanks for being so visible at the Mead Fest this year! I get the impression you would rather sit in the background, but I learned so much from the two seminars you were involved in.

I have to admit, my favorite line of the weekend was when someone was asking about using bee pollen as nutrients and part of your response was "bees are so difficult to displine". That image of spanking the bees with a tiny paddle unless they come back with the right pollen was hilarious!!! (naturally, you would not use your hand for fear of inadvertantly spanking the stinger!)

Anyone who missed Mead Fest missed some wonderful information as well as some truly great meads!

I had a great time, and I hope everyone else did, too.

If I seem like I want to stay in the shadows, it's just that I know that I'm just a regular guy who goes to work every day and has a messy basement like everybody else (if you have a clean basement, and a pool table, invite me over for a game of pool. It might be better if you live around Troy, MI).

When there are cats like Drs. Dewey Caron, Chris White and Garth Cambray in the room, I'm just trying to say something that isn't flat wrong and doesn't sound stupid. I didn't do the research that Morse and Steinkraus did. I am just trying to help folks know about it, and about the ways I have learned to make some decent mead. Ben Franklin, Martin Luther King, Marie Curie, Ghandi, Einstein, now there are some folks who could stand in the light.

Ken
    It's time for some woodshedding, Willie Mae. The blue light was my blues, and the red light was my mind.

Ken,

Don't roll your eyes too much when I post this. LOL

What I really enjoy about Ken is his enthusiasm for everything. Mead yes, wine of course, food oh yeah!

The thing that I find impressive about Ken is that he has a bunch of knowledge that he's willing to share, but, he is also genuinely interested in what he can learn from other people about mead. He's not affected like some I ran into this year, he's just a genuine "Mead Guy" who laughs at my jokes, tools on politicians and wants to find good mead to drink.

Cheers,

Pete
    Is it tasty . . . precious?