Thread: Cyser questions

1. Default Cyser questions

How long does a basic cyser take to finish? how long should one be aged? and would it be ok to start one now for the Christmas season or should I wait till the fall? also does anyone have a basic easy to follow recipe for a cyser. Thanks

Default Re: Cyser questions

Meadmonster,

With all meads... the sooner you can get one started the better.

There are a number of cyser recipes here...

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...egory&cat_id=4

Pick the one you feel most comfortable with and enjoy your new hobby/obsession.

Wrathwilde

3. Default Re: Cyser questions

THIS LINK IS BUSTED!

I'm trying to find a recipe that uses fresh apples vs apple juice.

gonzo

P.s I've gotten some ideas off the recipe tab off the site...im just hunting.

About 20 pounds of apples = 1 gallon of juice. Work from there.
    The apples need to be cleaned in water or a water/Potassium Meta BiSulphite mix - Apples sometimes have a lot of wild yeasts on them depending on how the weather has been and how long they have been sitting around.

Then quarter them, remove the seeds (nasty things), and mash up as much as you can - potato masher, blender, food processor; appleas are a bit tougher than soft fruit and need to be pressed as much as possible. The best is to use an apple press and get just juice.

Make sure you use pectic enzyme, it will help clear the cyser.

The problem of course is you have 20 pounds of apple mush, rather than a gallon of juice. You'll have to add water, and then it's not really a cyser, it's more of a melomel...

I just tasted a cyser I started in late June and it is drinkable now. It should of course get better with time as well. From start to bottling was 4 weeks, which is very fast (I think) for mead. I used Norskersword's 4 week Quick Cyser recipe. Not good with links, so unfortunately I'll make you look for it. I think it's really far back on the recipe board. Or you can look for my entry in the brewlog--"first mead". (The orginial recipe calls for grape tannin, which I didn't use.)

Enjoy!
    Aaron
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.