• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cyser questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

meadmonster

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2005
How long does a basic cyser take to finish? how long should one be aged? and would it be ok to start one now for the Christmas season or should I wait till the fall? also does anyone have a basic easy to follow recipe for a cyser. Thanks ???

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
THIS LINK IS BUSTED!

I'm trying to find a recipe that uses fresh apples vs apple juice.

gonzo

P.s I've gotten some ideas off the recipe tab off the site...im just hunting.

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
About 20 pounds of apples = 1 gallon of juice. Work from there.
The apples need to be cleaned in water or a water/Potassium Meta BiSulphite mix - Apples sometimes have a lot of wild yeasts on them depending on how the weather has been and how long they have been sitting around.

Then quarter them, remove the seeds (nasty things), and mash up as much as you can - potato masher, blender, food processor; appleas are a bit tougher than soft fruit and need to be pressed as much as possible. The best is to use an apple press and get just juice.

Make sure you use pectic enzyme, it will help clear the cyser.

The problem of course is you have 20 pounds of apple mush, rather than a gallon of juice. You'll have to add water, and then it's not really a cyser, it's more of a melomel...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I just tasted a cyser I started in late June and it is drinkable now. It should of course get better with time as well. From start to bottling was 4 weeks, which is very fast (I think) for mead. I used Norskersword's 4 week Quick Cyser recipe. Not good with links, so unfortunately I'll make you look for it. I think it's really far back on the recipe board. Or you can look for my entry in the brewlog--"first mead". (The orginial recipe calls for grape tannin, which I didn't use.)

Enjoy!
Aaron

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns