• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Costco suit takes aim at free trade

Barrel Char Wood Products

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I wish Maryland would open up for wine and beer shipments to residents. Montgomery County is especially bad at controlling who can sell wine/beer, etc... I am hoping that the latest rulings from the courts in other states will open up Maryland but you never know.

Some day... I hope.

In the mean time I will do my best to make my own elixirs and must experiment more... :D

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Well chock one up for the consumers (hopefully). Even if Costco is just the next Sprallmart ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Actually Costco couldn't be any more diametrically opposed to the Wal Mart business and employment paradigm if they tried. While neither shop is union, Costco's CEO is paid less than $300K per year and does not take an annual bonus. He travels personally to every store and is very hands on with all of their products.

He is accessible by all employees at any time, he takes calls, and is also very involved in the Costco employee incentive program. They pay their people well and have great benefits. New employees are instantly eligible for stock purchase in the company, and there are no commissions or fees associated with the stock purchase, so the employees are incentivized to become shareholders/owners in the company.

I know this stuff because I dated a girl who I met at Costco in the wine section, and she was an employee. I also saw a 60 minutes segment on the CEO as they travelled with him. He usually visits 3 or more stores daily if I remember correctly. The guy's got more energy than I do.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yeah,

This is really the time for "Free the Grapes" and other grass-roots organizations along with any class-action litigants to press hard. There is a precedent set, and they can really gain momentum. This ruling in effect shoots down the State's claim that they are being beneficent and promoting sobriety, keeping the supply chain constant and keeping a motherly eye toward the health of it's residents.

Let's see if the good guys (that's us!!) use this as a rally cry and press home the advantage, no matter how temporary it may turn out to be.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This appeal was pretty much expected at the time that the judge handed down her decision. She even made sure to accomodate the state for time to appeal. We'll have to see what happens here, and who the state gets to, in order to overturn the decision.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns