Thread: All your data are belong to US

Default All your data are belong to US

What do you have to worry about?

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/8/14724/28476

Wrathwilde

Default Re: All your data are belong to US

Good Lord. Why am I not suprised that the Evil Empire (which has become us, from what this seems to say) is monitoring us all....Big Brother has arrived.

Vicky - who says 'Hi' to Homeland Security on many phone calls....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Ok look, I just need to set the record straight on something.

To Homeland Security:

I don't watch TV very often so I didn't know it was the Bush twins, they told me they were eighteen, the infamous "shaving party" was not at my bidding, and I know absolutely nothing about the missing wombats from the National Zoo. Furthermore, Mrs Chertoff is a dear friend and she was merely trying to help me find some change that I dropped in the car seat while driving. She is terribly far sighted and therefore needed to get as close to the seat as possible since I had to concentrate on driving.

Just wanted to make that clear,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar
    Mrs Chertoff is a dear friend and she was merely trying to help me find some change that I dropped in the car seat while driving.
    I suppose the fact that the change dropped was in a zippered money pouch confused matters all the more.

Wrathwilde

It is kind of a sad state of affairs when the government feels it needs to eavesdrop on all electronic communication. But, who do I blame here? Just as in the "Right to defend yourself" topic, how far is too far in trying to defend our own lands? If the FBI had been a little more willing to listen to their own agents who spotted something strange with a group of foreigners training to fly airplanes, 9/11 may not have happened. Where was Big Brother then? So now they are trying everything to make sure we do not get hit again. Can we blame them? We certainly blamed them for doing nothing.

But how do they prevent future attacks? We cannot stop certain people from coming into the country (prejudism). We cannot profile (prejudism). We cannot listen in on their conversations and Emails (don't step on my freedom). So how do we do this?

Is there actually anything wrong with monitoring electronic transmissions as long as the information gathered is not used improperly or illegaly against law abiding citizens? We all hate the idea of losing our liberties. I am right there with you all. But then what is the answer? There is a lot of bashing of the administrations for not protecting us. Clinton's did nothing while the terrorist world kept hitting us and planned 9/11, and Bush's took us into a nasty war that could result in more reprisals for years to come. How then do they make us safe if they do not use some methods of countering those who are out to hurt us?

Angus - just looking for some answers that I can live with.
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

6. Default Re: All your data are belong to US

Angus - I see a voice of reason in you. The answer is to seek answers. The answer is not by protesting while not providing any thought to some alternative.