• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Moldy carboys

Barrel Char Wood Products

Crowing

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Groton, Connecticut
So we have a five gallon and a one gallon carboy in a chest freezer set to around 55 degrees to try and clear them up while they age. Well the freezers full of condensation and there's mold on the outside of the carboys. There's still vodka in the airlocks, and it did kinda suck it back in originally but I'm not sure if any tainted air or vodka actually got into the meads. So I guess I'm just asking if I should worry and if there's anything I can do about the mold. Thanks all.

hivemind1984

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2014
MD
www.facebook.com
My advice would be to either turn the temp down and try and kill the mold, and clean and sanitize as best you can. Or find a different storage space for your aging meads.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns