• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is there a process to nominate threads for stickiness?

Barrel Char Wood Products

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
That's the general question and here's the specific case:

In The Brewlog forum, I've noticed a number of Mentors having to remind us NewBees to post as comprehensive a brewlog as possible. Perhaps a sticky thread (working title Example Brewlogs) with an unordered list of the exemplary ones already posted (e.g., Cranberry Cyser - 1gal, etc.) could be created.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Cool thought.

We're currently formalizing the FAQ for new meadmakers, and revising the newbee guide to meadmaking which will frame a number of the processes and steps in the process of meadmaking. We are also detailing out posting formats and adding that detail to the recipe section. Once that is in place, we will add moderation to the recipe discussion section in order to keep it on point and in proper format.

Stickies are good when used sparingly, but when they're used as a way to enumerate different great posts or ideas you end up scrolling through a bunch of stickies just to get to the threads you want to read. So currently our approach is to encapsulate the stuff we want to highlight in a FAQ that can appear at the top of the forums and be visible and available in every forum and thread.

Thanks for the suggestion and we'll noodle on it a bit to see how/if we can work that into where we're taking the forums.

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Stickies are good when used sparingly, but when they're used as a way to enumerate different great posts or ideas you end up scrolling through a bunch of stickies just to get to the threads you want to read. So currently our approach is to encapsulate the stuff we want to highlight in a FAQ that can appear at the top of the forums and be visible and available in every forum and thread.

Understood, hence my thought of not making the exemplary brewlogs themselves sticky, but instead making sticky a new thread/FAQ/whatever that links to them. Format could be as simple as an unordered list with a series of POST BB code entries or as complex as a full-blown FAQ having a preferred template and annotations, etc. Sounds like we're on the same page and I'll leave it to the Got Mead? Gnomes to work their magick in due time. ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Understood, hence my thought of not making the exemplary brewlogs themselves sticky, but instead making sticky a new thread/FAQ/whatever that links to them. Format could be as simple as an unordered list with a series of POST BB code entries or as complex as a full-blown FAQ having a preferred template and annotations, etc. Sounds like we're on the same page and I'll leave it to the Got Mead? Gnomes to work their magick in due time. ;D

Cool. I think it will work out nicely. Plus, if we feel like it's not, we can always change it to a better model.

Cheers, Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns