• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pineapple mead advice needed

Barrel Char Wood Products

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.

As a close personal friend of the Captain, I would be very interested in what you come up with and how it turns out.

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
So heres the deal, I started a experimental batch Saturday.
1 sixty four oz can of Dole Pineapple juice.
2 Lbs of clover honey
1 Qt of spring water (plus a little more to top off afterwards)
1/2 finger size of fresh grated Ginger root.
1/2 tsp allspice.
1/2 tsp nutmeg.
1/8 tsp cinnamon.
1 campdem tablet.
1 Lalvin 71-B yeast
In a sanitized sauce pan I heated 1 Qt of spring water,
I added all the spices & simmered for 10 minutes.
Turned off the heat & added the honey while steering the pot.
Pineapple juice is already in Gallon jug, I added 1 crushed campdem tablet &
poured the heated mix into the jug. Shook the jug to oxygenize. Topped off with spring water & shook again. (S.G. is 1.090) Place an airlock on it with sanitizer in it & set aside for 24 Hrs.
The next day I placed jug in 3 Gallon pot (in sink) & added hot water (Kept running) to heat up must. 20 minutes later checked temp of must (101 F). Opened pack of 71-B & poured it directly in must & closed with airlock. Signs of fermentation 1 hr later. I was gonna add Yeast Nutrient & Energizer the next day but decided against it do to vigorous fermentation activity. By late noon the fermentation was so vigorous I decided to replace the airlock with a blow over tube. Today the fermentation was so vigorous, The foam forced pineapple pulp into the tube resulting in a pineapple volcano. I lost about a pint of must. Tomorrow I go to store & pick up a few gallons of spring water & top off the jug.

I hope my must did not get infected.

Last edited:

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ooo this sounds good, I am a Caribou Lou fan (151, pineapple juice and a dash of coconut rum) and will be attempting something similar so hope you get close to ur rum tatse!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns