• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First New Lager Yeast Strain in Centuries

Barrel Char Wood Products

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron

Lagers are boring. When you pop a can of lager beer, you taste the product of closely related strains of Saccharomyces pastorianus. Their genetic variety pales in comparison to the small but diverse group of yeasts used for making ale and wine, which pump out vastly different metabolic by-products and a wide range of flavors. In fact, lagers have looked and tasted much the same for hundreds of years because breeding strains with new brewing characteristics and flavors has proved difficult; the hybrids were effectively sterile. But that is about to change.

This good news harks back to the 15th-century origins of lagers. S. pastorianus appears to have been bred after an accidental cross of two other yeasts in a cool, dark cave in Bavaria when monks began “lagering,” or storing beer. In the 1980s scientists determined the identity of one original parent: Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is the mother of all yeasts used in baking and brewing. The other remained unknown until 2011, when Diego Libkind, an Argentine microbiologist, identified Saccharomyces eubayanus in the forests of Patagonia as the missing link. Wild S. eubayanus was not well adapted for industrial brewing, but its discovery opened up the possibility of developing new yeast crosses. “Once eubayanus was discovered, things suddenly became very interesting,” says Brian Gibson, who studies brewing yeasts at the VTT Technical Research Center of Finland in Espoo.

Lager lovers can now officially raise a toast because Gibson and his colleagues recently logged the success of re-creating the ancient fling between S. cerevisiae and S. eubayanus. “You can now produce lager yeasts that are very different from one another,” Gibson says. All the resulting hybrids outperformed their parents, producing alcohol faster and at higher concentrations and turning out tastier products, as documented in a paper published in the Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. In particular, they made 4-vinylguaiacol, which resulted in flavors more characteristic of Belgian wheat beers. “The beers have a clovey aroma,” Gibson says. “It's actually quite nice but maybe something we don't always want. The idea is to have a whole range of strains, and you just pick and choose.” The hunt has now turned to finding new yeast unions that gobble up sugar more effectively, potentially creating lower-calorie beers.

Gibson notes that building up a wide variety of flavorful strains of lagers should be relatively easy, which bodes well for the as yet undisclosed breweries that are adopting the new fermenters. Lager, according to one 2012 estimate, makes up more than three quarters of the U.S. beer market.

This article was originally published with the title "Watch Out, Sam Adams."

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
That's exciting news! However I disagree on the author's opinion of lagers. They are my favorite beer. I think in the modern "let's see how much bittering hop we can stand" and the IPA craze that accompanies it, the subtle and crisp lager, which in my opinion is a lot harder to get right, has been sidelined.

But I do look forward to trying the new lagers once they hit the shelves! I don't have room for beer brewing in the TARDIS!

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Maybe you should retro fit it with an Improbability Drive.

I did that but when a pair of kangaroos reading poetry to a 19th century folding card table (with very nice marquetry work I might add) showed up FOR THE SECOND TIME I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. The poetry was more like one dimensional children's rhymes. Totally unacceptable.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns