• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead now on Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I must be different from most then. I don't mind paying for work well done, and Tapatalk works well for me. $2 seems a small price to pay in appreciation to me.

That 'the internet must be free' thing is also why sites with membership options only see single digit signups when they have tens of thousands of members. Shame, that. I pay memberships on sites I use a lot, for the same reason, reward and appreciation for a job well done. Only seems fair.

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
I must be different from most then. I don't mind paying for work well done, and Tapatalk works well for me. $2 seems a small price to pay in appreciation to me.

That 'the internet must be free' thing is also why sites with membership options only see single digit signups when they have tens of thousands of members. Shame, that. I pay memberships on sites I use a lot, for the same reason, reward and appreciation for a job well done. Only seems fair.

Yes you are right. I am using talkatalk now. It works great and was worth $2.99

SpamDog

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Kudapucat, No worries, I don't take it personally. I think I need to explain what I said as after re-reading, I don't think my point was clear.
To me, since I don't mind reading the page from my phone's browser, and since GotMead and HomeBrewTalk are the only forums I ever read (even on the PC) I have no NEED for a program like Tapatalk. I don't mind supporting a great program, if it is one I want and/or has a perceived value to me. I doubt anyone buys any product just because it is a great product even if they don't need it.
My other point was that if there was a GotMead program where Vicky got the cost of the program I would purchase it more in support of the site then as a need for the program. (which reminds me my premium membership needs to be renewed)
As far as the cultural differences Oskaar mentions, the only thing I want to know is, what the heck is a 2 bob watch?

As always many, many thanks to Vicky for everything that she does and kudos to her for doing things to improve this site.

-SpamDog

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio

Sorry to say I still can't see the value in TapaTalk...

But I've been considering upgrading to a premium membership :) Maybe I should stop considering.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
<snip>
As far as the cultural differences Oskaar mentions, the only thing I want to know is, what the heck is a 2 bob watch?
<snip>
-SpamDog

"bob" is another term for Shilling, as in 1/20 Pounds Sterling.
It can refer to dollar occasionly when referred to by one of the old folks who still count in antiquated systems over here.

Therefore a 2 bob watch is a cheap and nasty watch or synonym for any cheap and nast product.

Another similar proverb is a 'Two bit <insert crass term for prostitute>'
Where a bit is a piece of silver, cut as a wedge from a Spanish Dolars. So this is probably your equivalent.

So, there's our lesson in lexicology for the day. ;-)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
A bit is 12.5 cents, making two bits a quarter, which is indeed a very cheap...anything these days. :)

My dad's family used bits quite often, things were 4 bits or 6, I grew up thinking it was common. Silly me. :)

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
A bit is 12.5 cents, making two bits a quarter, which is indeed a very cheap...anything these days. :)

My dad's family used bits quite often, things were 4 bits or 6, I grew up thinking it was common. Silly me. :)

Ahhh apparently it's been equated from a Spanish Dollar to a US dollar, I had thought they were wedges cut at 1/8 but wasn't sure, so your 12.5c makes sense...
As a Spanish dollar was Silver, is this perhaps where the American 'Silver Dollar' originated?

(So far OT now, but if nobody minds...)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns