• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottle sealing wax substitute...

Barrel Char Wood Products

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I was looking at bottle sealing wax to cap off some of my soon to be inventory so that it may be stored in our unfinished grungy basement. But at ~$18/lb I find that kinda expensive for a single use item. So I used my Google-Fu and came up with some serious amounts of data to sift through, and came up with a winner here: Homebrewtalk.com. No need to read it all, I'll have a synopsis below.

I came up with my own proportions of course. Mainly because I ordered some industrial crayons called "Staonal" that have massive amounts of pigment in them instead of the cheaper but much more plentiful kids crayons. The kids crayons are great if you have kids, or if you are around kids a lot, but no kids here, and my youngest nephew is 18...

So short story long is this:

You use household grade, NOT industrial grade, hot melt glue sticks and ordinary kids crayons obtained in bulk color of your choice to make bottle sealing wax. The recipe is pretty simple:

1) Find a suitable container to melt everything in, remember that taller is generally better than wider to make sure you can get a good dip.
2) Obtain suitable quantities of crayons and glue sticks of choice.
3) Put them into the container.
4) Melt and stir to make homogeneous.
5) Test dip and get the temp, consistency, and method down. Recycle the old wax into the pot, it is 100% recyclable if clean.
6) Wax seal your bottles in your choice of color(s)/style(s).

Unused crayons can go to kids (or you) to have fun with (crayons are not just for kids you know!). Glue sticks to the person in charge of the hot glue gun for projects and crafts. And a win/win/win situation with goodies for three different areas of home crafting.

I used:

6 ........ 10" All temp hot melt glue sticks
3 ........ Red Staonal crayons
2oz .... Paraffin wax

Heated in a 16oz soup can on our electric stove, directly on the burner, at about the "medium" heat setting, staying there with it the entire time I was futzing around to make sure that I didn't start a fire. For stirring it I just used one of our old long dandled DULL knives to stir, and a pair of pliers to hold onto the can once it gets hot. When done I had a waxy goo that when dipped just right, and at the correct heat level, would make a nice thickness overall, whilst also making a nice dribble of waxa la Makers Mark. It was not too difficult to remove, in part or whole, with or without a pull tab/string underneath. I actually prefered using fiber reinforced packing tape for my own stock, or a decorative ribbon held in place with a blob of sealing wax with a stamp in it a la Grand Mariner for gifts.

The above recipe makes 8oz and uses 1/4 of my glue sticks, and crayons and paraffin are cheap, so my costs are:

Glue sticks ................ $5.97
Staonal crayons ......... $1.80
Paraffin wax .............. $4.11
TOTAL ...................... $14.88

Less than $18/lb. And will make me 2 pounds before needing to restock on glue and crayons depending on how deep I want the red to be (the paraffin will last 8 batches, or 4 pounds). I could honestly use 2 staonal crayons because they do have so much pigment in them, but I wanted it to be much richer.

OK, so tutorial over, chiming in begins.....

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
here's a batch I capped last year using melted crayons and gluesticks - I can't remember what the ratio was but I have it written down somewhere. It's a little more brittle than wax, but you could easily play around and get the right consistency. I didn't use any paraffin, just glue and cheapo crayons.

I like strings under the wax to peel it and hang little gift labels from, although for bottles intended as gifts I used nicer string.

2014-09-30 07.54.44.jpg

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I'm guessing that it would be prohibitively expensive to use melted beeswax. I wonder how far a pound of beeswax would go. A quick scan of eBay shows a range of choices.

I doubt the beeswax would add any real functionality other than sealing the cork, but it might be a cool way to go.

Anyone tried this?

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
I thought about some beeswax, but the price is rather prohibitive! ~$11-$15/lb for beeswax. Still significantly cheaper than regular sealing wax though... Might be worth a small scale trial anyway! I just would hate to ruin the wonderful smell of beeswax with that of hot glue gun...

I recycled all my experiments, but can re-create them easily, and will try for that before the weekend when we leave for Utah for a month.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I thought about some beeswax, but the price is rather prohibitive! ~$11-$15/lb for beeswax. Still significantly cheaper than regular sealing wax though... Might be worth a small scale trial anyway! I just would hate to ruin the wonderful smell of beeswax with that of hot glue gun...

I recycled all my experiments, but can re-create them easily, and will try for that before the weekend when we leave for Utah for a month.

I did a quick eBay search and came up with a load of choices in all different price ranges. I may well give this a try one of these days.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, the house did not smell too pretty after my little experiment, for several hours. Not something to do if you can't handle intense scents and/or chemical scents. But very satisfying to know you can home craft yet another bit of your home craft...

I know for a fact beeswax would smell awesome! Maybe for next year I'll buy a pound of wax and make some tests to see if the glue sticks in smaller portions would work as well as the crayon & paraffin mix does. Also the beeswax being a natural product may provide slightly different results.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
EJM3, where in Utah? Southerly I hope. Salt Lake has already cooled down and may not be so wonderful, depending on your plans.

We will be making something of a loop with Idaho to start (Burgdorf Hot Springs) for a few days, some Utah (Moab), some Nevada (Ely area), maybe some Arizona (Grand Canyon) or California (Death Valley). So a Utah vacation is not really correct. More like a tour of 4 or 5 states in a loop lasting until we get home Nov 3rd.

I'll have pics of my wax experiments tonight...

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Highway 50 across Nevada is a great drive. At the California end you can go south to Death Valley and/or Yosemite. Of course, I am partial to desert and wide open spaces. So many choices. Moab to Monument Valley to either North Rim (my favorite) or South Rim of the Grand Canyon, then on to Death Valley/Yosemite is also an excellent option.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns