• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Caramel...Whatchamecallit..!?!?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
So if honey is mead what is caramel or is it less nutrient viable than honey?
Also have seen maple syrup used how does the name change with that?
Depending on the first question when using caramel would one just need the sg of the caramel to be used to use the calculator to find weights for other add ins? ie apples..
Since most of u see my intention by now, caramel apple cider, (not a hard or a soft more of a mellow cider ha ;-) since I wish it to be pure and simple if possible.

The omission or ratio of honey - caramel is my ? And how to handle the added (if added) acid levels or any other unexpected variables from this type of path, Thanks Ahead of time for the help as all input keeps me on the right path.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I don't know how well caramelized sugar would work, nor what it would be called. However, there are meads made with caramelized honey which are called a brochet (although maybe it's spelled bochet? I can't really remember).

Do some searching on the forum, and you'll find plenty of threads about it.

Any reason you want to use straight caramel instead of caramelized honey? You could always just add some caramel into a cider like you originally planned, but I am unsure of what things you'd need to be aware of for a successful fermentation. Sounds like something you'll just have to try. ;)

Last edited:

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
caramelized honey mead = bochet, not brochet. Brochet is a town in Manitoba.
maple syrup mead = acerglyn

Making a bochet/cyser combo could give you the caramel apple flavor you are looking for. Alternatively you could make a cyser and add caramel flavor later.

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I'd have to know exactly what you mean by 'caramel' before I advised. There is a big difference between caramel candy (which has butter, cream, and vanilla) and caramel sauce (which is just sugar and water heated till it changes color).

The candy has things in it that aren't really fermentable without special steps (look up malolactic fermentation) and are supposed to be sour types of fermentation anyway which doesn't seem to be the flavor you're going for. A caramel sauce won't have those rich, buttery/vanilla tones that the candy does and (IMO) wouldn't really taste like a caramel apple.

I'd go with a cyser bochet, the couple of bochets that all started around the same time seemed to come out with some really nice caramel notes from what people have been posting.

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
I have a 1 gallon batch of caramel apple cyzer going right now. I used the "quick cyzer" recipe on this site but replaced one of the two pounds of honey with a pound of sugar that I carmamelized. It started at 1.130 sg. I missed the 1.017 by a few points and put it in the fridge at 1.014. Three days later it was 1.012 when I racked it onto the campden and sorbate. It will be about 15.3%. It is now clearing nicely but has a few weeks to go. I will let you know how it turns out.

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
I'd have to know exactly what you mean by 'caramel' before I advised. There is a big difference between caramel candy (which has butter, cream, and vanilla) and caramel sauce (which is just sugar and water heated till it changes color).

Great point!! As I recently found my way to this circle in other conversations...
Caramel sauce is what I had thot, orig possible because it seemed closer to an easy ferment

But then flavor of caramel candy, but the issue of unferment-able sugars and the souring, which I love granny smiths for this but I have always taken this type (not the apple) description as not pleasant sour

I wanted to look at other options as to caramelizing honey, first only because it was the most obvious to me and I like searching a room and the hallway before opening a door (video game analogy if you dont get it play Diablo should still run on any computer) Because i had seen the syrup threads and want to seek out unique things but with honey having the best ferment-able sugars, now it becomes a choice on honey and I have really been infatuated with this local Indiana clover honey, but am sure Oskar has a few blends specifically for caramelzation :)

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
... I like searching a room and the hallway before opening a door (video game analogy if you dont get it play Diablo should still run on any computer)...

Man, now I'm feeling my age. I started to read that and I'm agreeing, thinking old school text adventures like Zork and here you are referencing something so new.

I guess I'll just go put on my depends now.

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
sounds very tasty, how tedious was that caramelizing of the pound of sugar, as I would want tips!! not a sticky kitchen :)

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
Wow didnt check this thread but a huge grin on my face....btw Diablo III out in may!

Oh DOS, how I can miss thee, (i have a macbook now)

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
sounds very tasty, how tedious was that caramelizing of the pound of sugar, as I would want tips!! not a sticky kitchen :)

The third time was the charm for caramelizing the sugar. The first 2 attempts I didn't have the burner hot enough and I just evaporated the water. I found this the easiest way to go: Put 1 pound of sugar into a pan, add just enough water to make it the texture of wet sand, put it on a burner set to high (on my electric stove), do not stir at all, The sugar will start to boil and then start to darken. When it becomes a nice amber color I removed it from the heat and immediately added about a quart of apple juice to it and stirred it so I didn't end up with a block of caramel hard candy. I then added this to the must. I should be bottling this next week I will post results then.

Vandall

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Update on the Caramel Apple.

I have a 1 gallon batch of caramel apple cyzer going right now. I used the "quick cyzer" recipe on this site but replaced one of the two pounds of honey with a pound of sugar that I carmamelized. It started at 1.130 sg. I missed the 1.017 by a few points and put it in the fridge at 1.014. Three days later it was 1.012 when I racked it onto the campden and sorbate. It will be about 15.3%. It is now clearing nicely but has a few weeks to go. I will let you know how it turns out.

I bottled this batch today, exactly 4 weeks from the day I started it. I sampled some of it with my wife and we both thought the following: It was still hot and had a tart taste like a granny smith apple. It was medium sweetness, neither sweet nor dry. We could definitely smell the caramel in the glass but it hasn't shown up in taste yet. Hopefully ageing will bring out the caramel taste, however it was quite enjoyable as it is. The plan is to drink one bottle after three months, one after 6 months, one after a year, and the last after 2 years. Only time will tell.

Legitapotimous

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2012
If you can hold out that long!! Good review!

Did u peal and core ur apples? The skin is can be bitter i hear?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns