• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

OG way higher than expected

Barrel Char Wood Products

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
So I’m still quite new to mead making having only started 4 other 1-2gal batches over about the last 6 weeks. Last night I started a 3 gal batch that I plan to split into 3 1gal batches, each with a different fruit added in secondary. Except for the one cyser, I used an OG calculator in a brewing app I downloaded on my phone. Each of them had an OG very close to what the calc said it should be, off by no more than .006. Last night’s batch was 3gals with 12lbs of honey. Calc says OG should be 1.146. This is my first batch since finding the calc on this site, and it basically agrees with a predicted 1.144. When I took a reading last night, it was a whopping 1.162! I had to guesstimate that 2 as my hydrometer markings stop at 1.16. How is it so much higher?

rb2112br

Honey Master
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2018
I'm not an expert or anything, although I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night (j/k), but I would think the difference could be in part due to the sugar content of the honey you used is higher than what the calc uses to come up with that figure. I wouldn't think the difference would be that high, so there could be other factors too.

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, that sugar variation and imprecise water measurements are what I attributed the differences on the other batches to. And I’ve used a different honey in each batch, so I expect some minor variations from whatever it is those calculators use, but not this much.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
How do you measure your honey? A 1.5lb difference would account for the discrepancy.

You mentioned imprecise water measurements. A 1.2 quart mistake would also account for your error.

Also, your hydrometer is probably calibrated at 60 F. A must temperature of 400F would account for the difference. Just goes to show that you really don't have to worry about correcting for temperature..... :)

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi VetTanker and welcome.
I would tend to assume that calculators are pretty accurate and reliable. My rule of thumb is that if the total volume of must is 1 US gallon then 1 lb of honey will increase the gravity by 35 points to 1.035 and 4 lbs (resulting in the same 1 US gallon) will increase the gravity by 4*.035 = 1.140. So three possible causes - You added more honey than 4 lbs, the total volume was less than 1 US gallon or you did not mix the honey and the water well, and the sample of must you took to measure the gravity was taken from an area where there was an atypical concentration of honey. If you know for certain the weight of the honey and the volume of must my money is on your mixing technique.

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I used two 5lb and one 2lb containers, filled them with water and shook to get all the residual stuff out. As for water, I just filled the 3gal carboy as much as I felt comfortable doing. As these things aren’t marked with a line, idk how far above or below 3 actual gallons I am, but I did go through 2 whole 1gal jugs of water with minimal amounts not ending up inside the carboy. I’m having trouble attaching a pic I took or I’d show how full it is. Room temp was maybe 65-67, Honey jugs were warmed in a pot on the stove to aid in pouring, but nothing crazy.

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Hi VetTanker and welcome.
I would tend to assume that calculators are pretty accurate and reliable. My rule of thumb is that if the total volume of must is 1 US gallon then 1 lb of honey will increase the gravity by 35 points to 1.035 and 4 lbs (resulting in the same 1 US gallon) will increase the gravity by 4*.035 = 1.140. So three possible causes - You added more honey than 4 lbs, the total volume was less than 1 US gallon or you did not mix the honey and the water well, and the sample of must you took to measure the gravity was taken from an area where there was an atypical concentration of honey. If you know for certain the weight of the honey and the volume of must my money is on your mixing technique.

I am as certain as I can be on the honey weights and overall volume. As for mixing, I use one of those drill mounted stir thingamabobs, spent several minutes with it, and moved it around within the carboy. The honey, going off the color, looked to be evenly dispersed.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So your methods are what is causing all the inconsistency. FYI. I never weigh or measure my honey and water. I just mix it until I hit the Gravity I want and make sure I'm making more than what I am going to long-term age.

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
So your methods are what is causing all the inconsistency. FYI. I never weigh or measure my honey and water. I just mix it until I hit the Gravity I want and make sure I'm making more than what I am going to long-term age.

Anything more specific than that? 5 batches in, my methods haven’t changed yet in that respect, and this is only the first to be inconsistent.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Right , this may be the first batch that you are finding "inconsistent" but if your protocol is weak then consistency may be more of an accident than you imagine and inconsistency may be more likely the more batches you make (Think a coin toss: you might find that you get 10 heads one after the other but the more times you toss the coin, unless the coin is loaded, the number of tails should match the number of heads, so if you bet that the 11th toss will be heads you are likely to be wrong).

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Well so you said you don't know for sure how much you need to fill it to get to 3 gallons. So you're guessing. Unless I'm not understanding you.

VetTanker

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 23, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Well so you said you don't know for sure how much you need to fill it to get to 3 gallons. So you're guessing. Unless I'm not understanding you.

My one calculator is telling me with 12lbs I need 1.98gal of water to get 3gal total. I know I was somewhere in that ballpark, but without a way to measure volume in the carboy, and without knowing if my 2 1gal water jugs were right at 1.000000 gallons, I don’t know exactly how much is in there. I doubt the 3 gal mark is above where I stopped filling, and if it is, it’s by a hair.

rb2112br

Honey Master
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2018
Think a coin toss: you might find that you get 10 heads one after the other but the more times you toss the coin, unless the coin is loaded, the number of tails should match the number of heads, so if you bet that the 11th toss will be heads you are likely to be wrong.

That is not correct. The result of the 11th coin toss is completely independent of the previous 10 results, so you still have a 50-50 chance of guessing it right. Now, if you were to bet that flipping the coin 11 times will be heads 11 times in a row, you will most likely be wrong.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns