• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to make a Medium-Sweet Mead Sparkling

Barrel Char Wood Products

MeadNovice

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 8, 2016
I want to make a medium-sweet sparkling mead. The problem is how to make it sparkling without making bottle bombs. I suppose I could always kill the yeast (sulfate) and add sugar (or honey), but that does not appeal to me. Do you have any suggestions? A great recipe? Ron

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
The only way of doing this is either using a cabonation system or using non-fermentable sugars (xylitol or stevia) to get the medium sweetness.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I'm also interested in this. Without those methods, is it only possible to get a sparkling mead if it is dry?

Well, anything's "possible", right? Just not practical......

It would be nice if the yeast stopped EXACTLY at the alcohol limit stated by the manufacturer, but unfortunately that's not the case. If you try and predict where the yeast are going stop fermenting, so you can have a sweet bubbly mead, the yeast can appear to stop early, leaving you with a mead that is sweeter than desired, with little carbonation, and waiting for the right conditions (temperature change, agitation) for fermentation to restart. Or the yeart can continue on past the stated alcohol limit, ferment all the honey, over carbonate the bottles, leaving you with the potential of "bottle bombs".

I've read where people have tried to use pasteurization (heating the bottle and contents in a water bath, between 140F and 190F degrees), to kill the yeast, but from what Ive read this can also lead to problems, where the bottles actually blow during the heating process. There's also the issue of trying to figure out at what point you try and do this procedure (opening and measuring the contents of multiple bottles seems to be the only real way).

Conversely, you could refrigerate all your bottles, once they've reached the desired carbonation and sweetness level (more opening and measuring), causing the yeast to go dormant, but you would need to keep them refrigerated until consumed, as refermentation could easily resume once they are warmed. This not only requires permanent refrigeration space, but means you should not be giving any of your mead away to unsuspecting friends or relatives.

So, possible, but not practical.........

MeadNovice

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 8, 2016
Well, anything's "possible", right? Just not practical......

It would be nice if the yeast stopped EXACTLY at the alcohol limit stated by the manufacturer, but unfortunately that's not the case. If you try and predict where the <snip>
So, possible, but not practical.........

Thanks for your detailed response. That is pretty much how I see it, too. But, hey, we do this all the time with beer! We let the fermentation go to completion. The level of sweetness is, as you say, set by the yeast. Then we add a carefully measured amount of sugar and bottle it. It carbonates to (usually) the desired degree in the bottle. Why can't we do the same thing with mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns