• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Confusion about nutrient

Barrel Char Wood Products

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
I've heard nutrient and energizer, along with the corresponding brands DAP, Fermaid, Go-Ferm and Fermax (which I use) used interchangeably in the forum.

Is there a difference between each one and do I need any particular one? :confused:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Nutrient and energiser are generic terms, they can be almost anything. I think one of them is usually DAP and the other is usually closer to fermaidK, but I'm not sure.

The others are more specific and easier to work with.

DAP is DAP, it's a straight up mineral that gives your yeast nitrogen.

FermaidK contains some DAP, but also lots of complex nutrition for the yeast (I believe it's largely made out of dead yeast itself).

Those 2 are used during the first 1/3 of fermentation, generally in combination.

Goferm is for use while rehydrating (has some other uses too) and is good for this because it contains zero DAP, which can hurt the yeast while they're rehydrating.

I highly recommend digging around both these forums and google - go to the manufacture's website and start reading. There's also a ton of threads on nutrient usage around here, try searching for "Staggered nutrient addition" would probably be a great start.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Fermax is similar to Fermaid K, it is a "blended" nutrient with some DAP and some micronutrients, vitamins, etc. There are lots of these blends available, like the Wyeast blend, TheBeveragePeople nutrients, LD Carlson, and so on. Fermaid K is generally preferred on this board because the contents are published and therefore we know exactly what we're adding. Others we can guess, but there is some variability from manufacturer to manufacturer.

"Energizer" is often, though not always, a blend of vitamins and other non-nitrogen compounds. "Nutrient" is pretty much always some sort of nitrogen compound, but those range from DAP to urea to autolyzed yeast. Again, Fermaid is preferred here since we know what it is. DAP is also used frequently to add nitrogen without all the other stuff in the blends.

In general you can use whatever you want, and folks do. A side of beef is apparently a good source of yeast nutrients. ;) Depending on your recipe and yeast selection, you can have lots of leeway in the amount of nutrients you provide; you might not notice the difference between using Fermaid vs. Fermax. For challenging fermentations or just to get a better handle on the process, it is nice to know exactly what is going into the must; this is where the "we know what's in it" line becomes more important.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The other thing I like about the "holy trinity" of nutrients on this forum (DAP, Fermaid K, and Goferm) is that basically all the info on these forums refers to them. So when I'm taking nutrient advice from someone here, they know exactly what they're suggesting, and I have exactly the same thing in my hands. That alone is reason enough for me to stick with them.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Thanks. Hmmm... I wonder what a traditional sweet mead will taste like if I used some prime rib as nutrient... ;)

Hmmmm..... GotMeat? ;D

This thread in the Patron's area links to a handy table comparing various nutrients. Fermax is not listed there, but from other sources we believe that Fermax provides about 15% less nitrogen than Fermaid K (giving 21 vs. 25 ppm at 25g/hl dosing).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns