• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Potensial plam sugar

Barrel Char Wood Products

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
I brewed with maple sugar and that was very nice. Was therefore wondering if any other tree saps had any potential.
I only found limited information about the potensial of palm sugar in wine/mead making. Anybody got any experiences? Experiences with fermenting on its own or in combination with other ingredients.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Europe is a big place jens, but I doubt you're anywhere near somewhere that you'd get unprocessed palm sugar sap.

Though there are recipes for wines made with Birch tree sap, you just have to tap the tree's in the correct way at the correct time. A quick google search would give more info....

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
The title was suppose to say "Potensial palm sugar" and not "Potensial plam sugar".:)
Europe is a big place jens, but I doubt you're anywhere near somewhere that you'd get unprocessed palm sugar sap....
Acctually I was just wondering about the tradition/experiences of using palm sugar.
One of my "sources" : "radical brewing p.198" says about palm sugar: "...This sugar has a history in British brewing beginning in the early nineteenth century when it was used to make up for some disastrous barley harvest..."
The palm sugar I have says "...sugar is unbleached, unfiltered..." I dont know for sure if its true, but anyway it was just for the knowledge of how to use it.
...Though there are recipes for wines made with Birch tree sap, you just have to tap the tree's in the correct way at the correct time. A quick google search would give more info....
I never used birch sap, that would be intresting to taste too. Is it early spring when the birch start getting leafs that the sap should be collected?

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I was also looking at palm sugar. I found it at the local Asian market, it came ressed into blocks. It was fast to dissolve and easy to pull off with a cheese grater. It is a little waxy in appearance, I am guessing it has a little oil in it yet? I loved the flavor and took to adding it to my coffee and tea for quite a while.

I was considering it in brewing as an agent for bottle carbonating. But a baseline experiment of a micro batch of fermented palm sugar (<1 gal.) would be a good idea too.

My curiosity was particularly from it's texture, I wonder3ed if aside from carbonating it may actually aid in head retention (I think licorice is used to this effect in some beer and soda making).

So I know a very very little about it, but I suggest you make a small batch and share if you've got the time, maybe I will too.

good luck

/wolfie

Sadie Lady

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 10, 2011
South Carolina
I use palm sugar in Thai curries. Got it at the Asian market also. Mine came in a jar and I'm out of it now, but don't remember it saying anything about additives. Definitley a different flavor than like brown sugar. Seems a try would be interesting.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns