• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Noon cleaning concerns

Barrel Char Wood Products

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
So I have about 2.5 gallons of honey and decided I would try my hand at some mead. I had a guy I work with offer me his fermentation bucket and carboy incase I decided brewing wasn't for me I wouldn't be out too much money. I bought a wine whip, airlock, bungs, nutrients, energized, yeast, and starsan. When he brought me his containers they had been set outside to dry and left for some time under a birch tree. The bucket had some black stuff inside and all over the inner part of the lid. Idk if it is mildew or something from the tree. I removed gaskets and cleaned everything with 1 step cleanser and plan to use starsan before brewing. The bucket seems to have some staining from w.e this substance wash would the cleaning I gave it be sufficient or should I avoid using it? Sorry for the long winded post over what may be a simple question but I wanted to provide accurate information.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
How about filling the bucket with a water a bleach mixture and letting it soak for several hours? You'll need to do extra rinsing afterwards, but if the stain are still there after that I'm not sure I would use it. That being said, mead making is little more forgiving than beer making.....

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
I will try that. I can't say 100% stains are from the black stuff though I assume they are. He made wine in the bucket previously

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
There are different bleach to water ratios, depending on whether you are cleaning, disinfecting or sanitizing. I would use 3/4 to 1 cup per gallon of cool water and let it sit for a couple of hours. Be careful about splashing and make sure you rinse thoroughly.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I think most of us use a product called ( "PBW"). it is a caustic cleanser and chews away stuff like this. Once it's done it's magic you need to use Start san or similar to rinse away the film.

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
With pbw should I not allow it to have contact with the rubber seals or would it not effect them?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
With pbw should I not allow it to have contact with the rubber seals or would it not effect them?

"Soak equipment overnight in PBW solution; rinse the following morning - no scrubbing required! Will not damage rubber gaskets, soft metals, or your skin. PBW ..."

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I soaked it in bleach water and used a q-tip to get into the sight groves along the lid. Everything looks good now. I'll clean it again with the 1step cleanser I was given and then sanitize again with starsan. But next time I make trip to the brew shop I'll look for the PBW for future use. Thanks again for the help.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns