• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Where can I find Mead in Boston or Boulder?

Barrel Char Wood Products

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
I will be traveling to Boston this weekend, and Boulder for a few days after that.

I know Isaac of Salem is a reasonable drive from Boston.
Also, red stone meadery is about an hour away from where I'll be in Boulder.

Does anyone know of anything others in either area?

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
I will be traveling to Boston this weekend, and Boulder for a few days after that.

I know Isaac of Salem is a reasonable drive from Boston.
Also, red stone meadery is about an hour away from where I'll be in Boulder.

Does anyone know of anything others in either area?

Boston -- try Sunset's Grill and Tap in Allston. Brighton Ave corner Harvard Ave.
One block over on Harvard corner Commonwealth Ave is Marty's Liquors. They sell mead there (or at least, they used to).

Have a glass for me! :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
When will you be in Boulder? That's only about a 25 mile drive from here....

Also, Redstone is right in Boulder (off of Pearl Street east of Foothill Parkway), and Medovina is in Niwot, less than 10 miles away (but I haven't seen Mark for a while and I don't know if he does any tastings at his place). Then there's HoneyJack (actually in Broomfield, but close to Boulder like Jeff noted). I think there's enough local mead to keep you busy for a few days if you're going to be here that long. Then there are a few of us locals who have made passable home meads from time to time.

BrewinNColorado

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder County, Colorado
Where are you staying where Boulder is an hour away? As far as "in" Boulder, it is just Redstone. Honeyjack is close, about 10 minutes away in Broomfield.

Colorado is one of the micro crew capitals, so if you're into beer, we have Avery, Fat Tire, Left Hand, Oscar Blues and a few others.

If you like large scale commercial, we also have Coors.

Let me know when you are in the Boulder area; I live in Longmont and haven't been to Redstone in years and would love to meet you there either after work or on the weekend.

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
Lots of great options & advice here, thanks everyone! I should have posted this weeks ago so I had more time to plan. I won't be checking a bag, so I won't be bringing any homebrew. Otherwise Wayne, I'd bring you a bottle of the your Christmas Spice mead!

When will you be in Boulder? That's only about a 25 mile drive from here....
I'll be getting in Late Sunday, and leaving Mid-day Wednesday. I think that leaves Monday evening (past 5ish) and Tuesday evening (past 7:30ish) open for me to cause trouble.. i mean explore :D;D While in Boulder, I'm in town on business, and will be attending a Software/Agile conference during the day time hours.

Then there are a few of us locals who have made passable home meads from time to time.
I'm sure you guys have much better stock than the commercial breweries! My experience (albiet limited) is that home brews have been much better than commercial places. Maybe it's because most commercial meads I've had were way too sweet for me.

Where are you staying where Boulder is an hour away?
I'll staying at the Millenium Hotel Harvest House.

Let me know when you are in the Boulder area; I live in Longmont and haven't been to Redstone in years and would love to meet you there either after work or on the weekend.
Totally down! It'd be fun to get together with any local brewers. Monday evening is looking most open at the moment for me.

Looks like there are some excellent frisbee golf courses in the area, so I'll be bringing my discs. Any disc golfers on here?

Boston -- try Sunset's Grill and Tap in Allston. Brighton Ave corner Harvard Ave.
One block over on Harvard corner Commonwealth Ave is Marty's Liquors. They sell mead there (or at least, they used to).
Have a glass for me! :)
Thanks, I added this to my travel notes!

BrewinNColorado

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder County, Colorado
Looks like there are some excellent frisbee golf courses in the area, so I'll be bringing my discs. Any disc golfers on here?

Funny that you ask about disc golf... Yes, there are some disc golf courses around. There is 1 in Interlocken (Broomfield) that isn't too bad, 1 in Boulder that is just ok and 2 in Longmont (1 within a hundred yards of my house) that are good.

Let me know what you have going on. My schedule is free on Sunday and open any time after 5 on the weekday.

You definitely need to fit in some time to try Wayne's meads. If the time is good for me, I can bring some of my own which aren't bad, but not as good as Wayne's.

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
Monday night is open for me still. I'm game for meeting at Red Stone around 5:45-6PM. They are only open until 6:30, but that should be plenty of time to do a tasting and meet each other. Brewing & Wayne, I'll PM you guys with my contact info. Hopefully see you there tomorrow!

~Adam

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
I ended up stopping by last night at RedStone meadery in the off chance that either of you guys would be able to swing by. I was able to meet with the owner and master brewer, and they gave me a tour of the place. They do have some very tasty meads, and sell some of their brews by the keg! Makes me wish I was closer so I could have some of their mead on tap.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns