• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Yeast Pitched!

Barrel Char Wood Products

meddigo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2018
UK, South Coast
Made my very first two gallons of mead today! Super excited to see how it turns out. One is OG 1.100 and the other 1.086 as an experiment to see the difference between a dry and a medium. Should I let them both ferment for the same amount of time?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
You should let them ferment till both are complete. Depending on what yeast you used both will likely ferment to dry.
You will likely end up with 2 dry meads of different alcohol content.

What yeast did you use?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

meddigo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 9, 2018
UK, South Coast
Aaah fair enough, I suppose that's the point of experimenting :) I've used Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound. No one seems to know much about it so I'll just see what happens, I think!

I'm not seeing activity yet, but I think it's taken a little time to get up to 20C. We've suddenly had a warmer spell in the UK so the heating isn't on as much! haha

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
My understandimg is that the super yeast compound is easily able to reach 16-18%.

You can always stabilize and backsweeten to get a med sweet product.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Even if both go dry, it's worth the tasting experience before you look at backsweetening to see how balanced your mead is dry at different alcohol levels!

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
not sure how, but my meads feel sweeter after 2 months of aging: I tested the last surviving bottle of the batch I bottled in early March on humans and it was totally different; in March it felt demi-sec, now it feels almost sweet (hydrometer shows 1.004), so you could keep at least one of them dry and see how it evolves, if you can bear leaving it alone for long enough :)

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
not sure how, but my meads feel sweeter after 2 months of aging: I tested the last surviving bottle of the batch I bottled in early March on humans and it was totally different; in March it felt demi-sec, now it feels almost sweet (hydrometer shows 1.004), so you could keep at least one of them dry and see how it evolves, if you can bear leaving it alone for long enough :)

Yep, that happens. To me a dry mead seems to have a greater chance of tasting sweet than a dry wine. perhaps the floral character tricks me into perceiving it as sweet, maybe the lesser complexity meads generally have compared to wines makes it easier to detect the sweetness. Maybe my tendency to oak raises perceived sweetness... As a mead ages and some flaws get ironed out and more honey character returns to your mead it is much easier to detect sweetness

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I have read that over time one of the things that happens as things integrate is. Fructose get changed into glucose. Not sure if this is true. But it could be why things get sweeter, a little bit over time

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns