• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Because the Government has nothing better to worry about

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Just love how Ragin' Bitch Beer and Fat Bastard wine can be sold, but not Dirty Bastard.

According to the article, sounds like the other two had been grandfathered... just love it when things get MORE conservative, huh?

Amusing how a lot of Alabama counties are dry... I know we've got a member on (for educational reasons only, of course) from a state that prohibits homebrewing but I can't remember which state.

Boy there sure are times I'm glad I'm north of the border!

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
According to the article, sounds like the other two had been grandfathered... just love it when things get MORE conservative, huh?

The whole grandfather clauses to me can hold no weight legally since the American legal system is based on the concept of Stare Decisis (gotta love fancy legal terms) which basically boils down to precedents. Obviously there is a precedent for dirty words on alcohol packaging therefore the decision of the Alabama Liquor Commission should be overturned. Hey Founder's Brewing I'll take the case Pro Bono (just love those fancy legal jargon)

Can not wait 2 more weeks for the semester to end and all these law classes to be over so I can go back to not having to think :)

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
This is almost as silly as that state banning the sale of that one lemonade to minors because it contained a minute amount of alcohol from the production process. (Less alcohol than some soft drinks that stay legal...) I forget the details.

Jas53

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 27, 2011
Plymouth, Michigan
The whole grandfather clauses to me can hold no weight legally since the American legal system is based on the concept of Stare Decisis (gotta love fancy legal terms) which basically boils down to precedents. Obviously there is a precedent for dirty words on alcohol packaging therefore the decision of the Alabama Liquor Commission should be overturned. Hey Founder's Brewing I'll take the case Pro Bono (just love those fancy legal jargon)

Can not wait 2 more weeks for the semester to end and all these law classes to be over so I can go back to not having to think :)

Dont take it Pro Bon0 - use the barter system and have kegs delivered free of charge monthly!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
This is almost as silly as that state banning the sale of that one lemonade to minors because it contained a minute amount of alcohol from the production process. (Less alcohol than some soft drinks that stay legal...) I forget the details.

Silliness abounds. In Canada we can't have Mountain Dew with caffeine, but codeine's an OTC product... If it's .5% or less alcohol (near-beer and dealcolized wine coolers are available anywhere), it's not a controlled substance as far as Ontario's concerned, how much alcohol did that lemonade have?

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
It's the reasoning that continues to blow my mind. I remember when the anti-smoking bans were going around. I agreed with not letting people smoke too close to entrances. I agree with making some business, like restaurants, smoke-free. What I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BRINGING YOUR KID TO THE BAR WITH YOU?

You can give all the excuses you want, but even if they happen to have food, a lot of times they only do that because local legislature says they have to sell so much percentage of their yearly income as non-alcoholic options. It happened to one of my favorite Irish bars not too long ago, they didn't sell enough food to keep their liquor license. (that blew my mind too)

It's an adult item, most grovery stores have all of their liquor in seperate aisles, or even seperate rooms. It should not be my responsibility to appease their senses about bringing their children around adult items. It'd be like someone passing a law that says you have to package all vibrators in opaque packaging so the children won't see a fake penis. WHY IS YOUR KID AROUND ADULT ONLY ITEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

*pantpantpant* I need a stiff one. (yes, you may interpret that as you choose. This is an adult only forum, right?)

New2mead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2012
Lansing, MI

Hahah! You lawyers so crayzee!!

I was watching the "bond" "trial" for Zimmerman, and I thought, "The lawyers on Law & Order are so much more believable!" it seemed, since it was being televised (as most big cases now seem to be) the lawyers were hamming it up for the cameras. If I were a jurist, I'd recuse myself due to lack of believability on the part of the attorneys.

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
It's the reasoning that continues to blow my mind. I remember when the anti-smoking bans were going around. I agreed with not letting people smoke too close to entrances. I agree with making some business, like restaurants, smoke-free. What I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

You can give all the excuses you want, but even if they happen to have food, a lot of times they only do that because local legislature says they have to sell so much percentage of their yearly income as non-alcoholic options. It happened to one of my favorite Irish bars not too long ago, they didn't sell enough food to keep their liquor license. (that blew my mind too)

It's an adult item, most grovery stores have all of their liquor in seperate aisles, or even seperate rooms. It should not be my responsibility to appease their senses about bringing their children around adult items. It'd be like someone passing a law that says you have to package all vibrators in opaque packaging so the children won't see a fake penis. WHY IS YOUR KID AROUND ADULT ONLY ITEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

*pantpantpant* I need a stiff one. (yes, you may interpret that as you choose. This is an adult only forum, right?)

The "for the children" excuse is major issue for me. They're putting up speed cameras in Chicago "for the children," even though there is no data to support the need. It has nothing to do with all the tickets they'll be able to write.

HunnyBunz

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2011
Salem, OR

It seems that governments more and more over the past few decades have been passing laws to protect people from themselves, or from their own stupidity. All this does is create an environment where no one has to be accountable for themselves anymore.

And I've already been bad enough today so I'm not going to comment on that last thought. ;D

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
It seems that governments more and more over the past few decades have been passing laws to protect people from themselves, or from their own stupidity. All this does is create an environment where no one has to be accountable for themselves anymore.

And I've already been bad enough today so I'm not going to comment on that last thought. ;D

Don't you know that in America everything is someone else's fault? The entire insurance industry is built around it and it seems you're not a true American if you haven't sued someone.

Oh, and I completely agree with Soyala's last statement. You can just pretend I said it too.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Don't you know that in America everything is someone else's fault? The entire insurance industry is built around it and it seems you're not a true American if you haven't sued someone.

Totally agree. Having traveled around a bit, most countries (and the people who live in them) seem to agree that everyone has at least some amount of personal responsibility for their own well-being. Such as, don't walk into that open manhole. In Beijing, they didn't even advertise holes in the ground, you just have to be aware of your surroundings. And forget about Bolivia, they don't even have traffic control at most intersections. Look both ways or get hit. Here in America the whole world is child-proofed and god forbid that you'd have to look around you and interact with your surroundings. And even if you do bump into something, well shoot you just sue them. WTF!

In New Zealand they have standard damages for injuries. Lose a hand? Here's $5000 (or whatever it is). No arguing, no haggling. Take it or don't. Guess how many lawsuits they have? Good system, but there's no way it would ever fly in the US.

fivecats

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
Outside Raleighwood
In New Zealand they have standard damages for injuries. Lose a hand? Here's $5000 (or whatever it is). No arguing, no haggling. Take it or don't. Guess how many lawsuits they have? Good system, but there's no way it would ever fly in the US.

Good God man, what you're suggesting amounts to restraint of trade! We pay lawyers good money to keep those annoyances from effecting our red-blooded American bottom line!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Well if it's a trade issue, then yeah it's inviolate. Can't mess with the Commerce Clause! Plus, we wouldn't want to make unemployment even worse. Imagine all those poor lawyers pawning their sports cars. ;D

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO

Well if it's a trade issue, then yeah it's inviolate. Can't mess with the Commerce Clause! Plus, we wouldn't want to make unemployment even worse. Imagine all those poor lawyers pawning their sports cars. ;D

I'd be all over that too, HunnyBunz, but I just remember she's a fiery redhead with a big sword and I presume the fiance also has a big sword.

if you're gonna bring up the Constitution, Akueck, I would think that the First Amendment should have something to say about banning something just cause it says "Bastard."

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Well when I become President feel free to name your Beer, meads or wines whatever you want. But be warned if it tastes like shit it will be banned, Goodbye Bud Light!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns