• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Long time drinker newbie brewer with clarity

Barrel Char Wood Products

meadmonkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 22, 2009
Indiana
Hi all, glad to announce that I have had 4 successful batches at this point, YAY! I am having some problems with haze in my finished meads though, is this a sugar haze? and how is the easiest way to clear it up prior to bottling. I am a little wary of too many chemicals in my mead, but I want to get more clearness. Thanks for any pointers on this.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Please post up the exact recipe of the batches you wish us to help with. Include ingredients, process, treatments and measurments (pH, sg, etc.)

Cheers,

Oskaar

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
What Pete said only more so.

There are a couple of ways that you could have a haze. If we know how your mead got to the point it is, we can help you with where it is now. The more we know about the temperatures involved, the ingredients, the yeast strain, the timings, the gravities when it started and where it is now, the pH, etc. the better we can help you.

There are a lot ways to make mead, some work better than others. Without knowing how you made this one, we really can't point you to a definitive answer.

And don't worry so much about the chemicals. Many full grape wines have higher concentrations of sulfites than any you might add to any mead. Any other "chemicals" you might add (nutrients, re-hydration enhancers, stabilzers, etc.) are usually a result of a natural process. It's really not a concern if you've looked at any of them for a while.

Oh, and Welcome To GotMead?! meadmonkey!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Hi all, glad to announce that I have had 4 successful batches at this point, YAY! I am having some problems with haze in my finished meads though, is this a sugar haze? and how is the easiest way to clear it up prior to bottling. I am a little wary of too many chemicals in my mead, but I want to get more clearness. Thanks for any pointers on this.

Hello Meadmonkey and welcome to the forums!

It helps clarify questions and responses if you can post your recipe, amounts of ingredients used, any special procedures, yeast strain, starting and finishing gravities.

A few preliminary guesses, it's vey unlikely that this is a sugar haze. If the mead finished out sufficiently there woun't be much sugar plus, sugar doesn't create a haze.

Could be the honey -- some honeys will finish out and clear easily, some generate a haze that lasts for a while. Did you use a different honey in this recipe as compared to your previous batches?

If the mead finished out recently, might need nothing more than a little patience. Let it bulk age for a good long while, we're talking about 9 months and longer here. Don't bottle until it's clear enough to read newsprint through. Even a seemingly dry mead can "wake up" and create bottle bombs.

Post your recipe and we'll see if we can help out.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns