• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oxidation....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
hmm one more noob question when people say about oxidation everyone screaming like they seen vampire or something :p

i wonder what exactly happens to beverage beside loosing taste, i mean in chemical perceptive.
does it change alcohol as well to something nasty or thing like that? ???

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Seems the internet is full of answers to your question. The answer would be that problems might occur on many levels but I guess technically oxidation is the molecular level. The damage is very difficult, if not impossible to fix and even then you'd never be able to get the wine you had before. Most people who are into wine should know what oxidation is and what it tastes like, so there's no getting away with it. Look up articles and read ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault#Oxidation

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
thank you for help guys,

i had one time wine i made while back like that lifeless crappy color & taste wine in one word YUCK

i manage to read some material over net, Oxygen produce aldehyde "Acetaldehyde", it make your drink taste like vinegarish.
and if you keep drinking Aldehyde that will give u Cancer for sure.

good thing you guys said mead hard to oxidize.

and reason i asked this is my new plastic crappy chinese made gallon leaking even duck tape didn't seal it off!
it look like this pic: http://parscenter.com/Content/Images/53ffc284-4d70-4737-83a5-cdb86d77ff71/800/600/image.jpg

my JOAM mead batch in first fermentation, i don't want to change it as it said don't touch it! lol
so i appreciate if anyone have good idea how to seal the darn gallon off till it's time for racking time.

cheers

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Can you buy distilled water or bottled spring water in your area? I've used the 4-litre jugs it comes in for fermenting for years. They're intended for one use but they're usually strong enough to put up with some abuse, if they couldn't then the shopkeepers would be annoyed with the water damage. Clear juice jugs work too.

The right bacteria (acetobacter) when combined with alcohol and oxygen will produce acetic acid (vinegar). This is why you want to keep your wines covered properly.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
unfortunately many winery equipment's not available since, all alcoholic beverage is forbidden in country i live in :p and if they caught me drinking or making it i gonna endup with 40 lashes hehe.

that's why i improvise for many stuff.

i searched for glass carboy I've seen in many guides, so far no luck.
gonna try to find plastic carboy and transfer to it. however since my current container is smaller than carboy probably have to do something about empty air in top of that.

still appreciate for all help & Suggestions ^_^

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I would never get anything that looks like winemaking equipment then, I would only own stuff with plausible deniability! That hose? It's from my fish tank. What fish tank? Well my fish died and the tank took up too much room so I gave it to my nephew but he already had his own hose. That jug? It's just from juice that went bad and I haven't thrown it out yet. Why is there a balloon on top? Well, it kept blowing the lid off so I stuck that on there to keep the bugs out while I tried to figure out how to dispose of it.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
lol very true

well Daesh didn't reach here but non the less, Iran Government Clerics similar to Daesh anyway -_-
and thanks for caring i'm usually careful man. don't worry about it
My tablet isn't showing your country, Noob, but don't lose your head over it. Even Mazer Cup winners aren't worth that.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
lol yeah thats bit scary indeed chevette :D
and yeah as old ones said smart people think like alike :p got few those item with exactly what u suggested hahaha

anyway i not gonna try to kill myself but not gonna giveup trying make drink of northern gods that easy

I would never get anything that looks like winemaking equipment then, I would only own stuff with plausible deniability! That hose? It's from my fish tank. What fish tank? Well my fish died and the tank took up too much room so I gave it to my nephew but he already had his own hose. That jug? It's just from juice that went bad and I haven't thrown it out yet. Why is there a balloon on top? Well, it kept blowing the lid off so I stuck that on there to keep the bugs out while I tried to figure out how to dispose of it.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I'm told basement booze is not that uncommon. Even that there's almost a blind eye turned.
Drunkenness is not tolerated though.

As a result of the prohibition though, much of the produce is rough, poorly made, headache inducing swill.
Pay attention here, make some nice stuff, and you'd best be careful not to share it, as the whole neighbourhood will be clamouring for more, and that's the attention you probably don't want.

I suggest you learn how to make jam, fruit sauces and other stuff... the waste should be used, and not disposed of, it will also give credence to you having such gear.
I would further suggest you get a bucket or a pail with a loose fitting lid. Don't use an airlock, it's pretty obvious even if it's a balloon.
Clingwrap and an elastic band works well, and looks like a simple measure one might take.

Good luck.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
thanks for all kind full concerns & helps :)

some basement and some nasty distill stuff going around here usually i usually don't touch it, since i don't know how they made it lots of people goes blind with bad distill stuff here every year.

mead no one even heard of it here.

some fake brands and some contraband with 10 times of actual price here as well.
as matter of equipment some with different name sells in black market for exam airlock selling here like $20usd ...

as matter of blind eye they don't but if they don't know they don't know!
but if you made or drink or caught you drunk 40 lashes + fine and add to your charge history

well i don't intend to sell mead to anyone atm gonna avoid attention of IRG and police for time being who knows maybe after few year they stop this nonsense.

once more thanks my fellow mead lovers for your warming heart advises.

I'm told basement booze is not that uncommon. Even that there's almost a blind eye turned.
Drunkenness is not tolerated though.

As a result of the prohibition though, much of the produce is rough, poorly made, headache inducing swill.
Pay attention here, make some nice stuff, and you'd best be careful not to share it, as the whole neighbourhood will be clamouring for more, and that's the attention you probably don't want.

I suggest you learn how to make jam, fruit sauces and other stuff... the waste should be used, and not disposed of, it will also give credence to you having such gear.
I would further suggest you get a bucket or a pail with a loose fitting lid. Don't use an airlock, it's pretty obvious even if it's a balloon.
Clingwrap and an elastic band works well, and looks like a simple measure one might take.

Good luck.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns