• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Another Outlandish brewer!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Welcome to the forum!!!
We like outlandish around here ;D, come to think of it, there are quite a few outlandish characters hereabouts ::)
Peach mel sounds good!!!! Did you post the recipe?

Cheers,
Brewbear

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Welcome to the Forums Leonora!!!

Do post the recipe and techniques you use, and if you know of any other Outlandish Brewers, or SCA brewers for that matter... don't hesitate to put a little buzz in their ear and help bring the SCA brew forums to their potential. It has been fiendishly difficult to track down SCA Brewers, three quarters of the contact information I've found on the web is out of date and I get back several emails as being undeliverable. All help is appreciated.

Wrathwilde

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Thanks for the welcome!

I did not post the recipe, but have been keeping good notes. I am doing a "sucessive fermentation". Adding about 3 to 5 lbs of honey and then fermenting it to dry. I just racked it from the peaches into a carboy to feed a few more times (up to about 20 lbs honey in 5 gallons). I want to do the final ferment on more peaches. I guess I will have to rack it back into the bucket.

I will see about getting more Outlandish on the site, and any other SCA brewers I can find!

All the best,
Leonora

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Leonora,
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but you are aware that step feeding yeasies will get them soooo happy that most always they overshoot their alcohol limit. That is not really a bad thing, but generally it means a very long aging (bulk aging) before the mead comes into it's own and is good, heading to greatness and leaving behind the rocket fuel taste!

Cheers,
Brewbear

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Ah, I did not know that. I mostly was doing the "step" fermentation as I was low on honey. I fixxed that now. I was curious what the process does, thanks for answering the question.

I just added another 5 lbs to the batch and it took off again.

I think I'll do one more rack with the final pounds of honey needed to finish the recipe onto another batch of the peaches and some ginger and some of the pectin enzyme to kill the haze.

I hope to have it drinkable by June, but if not, oh, well.

Just part of the fun!

Leonora

Wi1s0nX

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2006
Hey Spike,

Welcome aboard....

I have had 1 good group brew day down here in CG. Any chance of doing a combined UH/CG brew day in May? I know of a couple of people who would be interested.

-EEg

(Ld. Frederigo de Grenada, O.A.)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Alright, now. Before this thread gets any more stale, I guess the lack of follow-up means that the suggested combined brew day in May of 2006 never happened? ::)

Well, how about a brew day sometime in the Fall of '07? As Leonora knows, I've been thinking of playing in the SCA again after an extended hiatus (and that's putting it mildly -- I haven't been to an SCA event since early in AS 23). Now what better way for a meadmaker to get back into the Society than to participate in a brewing event? :toothy10: Since I live up in Evergreen, I suppose I'm closer to Caerthe than anywhere else, but if you all in CG or UH decide to put a brewing event together, I'll come down and play with you! :cheers:

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Whee! Thanks for writing, Wayne!

Unser Hafen actually has a pretty active brewing guild, but I guess not active on this list. I keep telling them about it!

I look forward to meeting you some day!

I am too overwhelmed with life right now to be able to think about planning anything beyond maybe a ginger beer at 3Stags! I will bring some mead but plan on hanging out in the fiber monkey corner mostly there.

All the best,
Leonora

dover157

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Moriarty, New Mexico
Four years later and a bump lol. I have fallen out of playing in the SCA, but plan on starting up again next summer. Seeing as how Grand Outlandish is held about 7 miles from my house seems like a good place to make a comeback. Hopefully Ill have some meads to share and get feed back from next summer.... oh ya I almost forgot AL-BARRAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns