• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

FDA bans Gesho, Tej

Barrel Char Wood Products

Criscfer

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
Parker, Co
I was just contacted by the TTB to surrender my formula for Tej, as they have been told that Gesho cannot be used in alcohol production. They do not reference any statute, or ruling by the FDA. They simply were told by email. This is frustrating me, as I do not have a chance to understand the problems, or to try to work to mitigate a solution. Effectively it just kills my product Time Traveler Tej.

Any insight that anyone may have would be appreciated. I would love to hear from other meadery's who are being affected by this change as well.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I was just contacted by the TTB to surrender my formula for Tej, as they have been told that Gesho cannot be used in alcohol production. They do not reference any statute, or ruling by the FDA. They simply were told by email. This is frustrating me, as I do not have a chance to understand the problems, or to try to work to mitigate a solution. Effectively it just kills my product Time Traveler Tej.

Any insight that anyone may have would be appreciated. I would love to hear from other meadery's who are being affected by this change as well.

Wow. wonder whats up with that. Are you in Parker still?

Criscfer

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
Parker, Co
Yes, we are still in Parker. Since you are local, you can probably appreciate the 50K+ Ethiopian population. I would assume this will effect all imported Tej, as well as domestic made. It will be a big deal to those that do not indulge in grape and malted barley beverages.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yes, we are still in Parker. Since you are local, you can probably appreciate the 50K+ Ethiopian population. I would assume this will effect all imported Tej, as well as domestic made. It will be a big deal to those that do not indulge in grape and malted barley beverages.

Well. I'm not sure too many people even know what Te'j is let alone be a consistent drinker of it. To my knowledge, you can't even buy any in CO. Are you a pro and open for business? I have never heard of one opening up over near there. And I have friends who own three here in CO.
We get together every month for a mead makers meeting. ANd then some of us get together during the month as well. If your interested in coming I can add you to a private FB group when we stay connected. Many of us are certified judges and most of us win medals in the competitions quite a bit as well. You are going to the Mazer Cup aren't you?

Criscfer

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2016
Parker, Co
I sell commercially, but do not operate a tasting room. ColoradoHoneyWines.com
I am not planning on attending Mazer this year, but may attend the AMMA conference. Let me know and I may meet up with your group at some time.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I sell commercially, but do not operate a tasting room. ColoradoHoneyWines.com
I am not planning on attending Mazer this year, but may attend the AMMA conference. Let me know and I may meet up with your group at some time.

PM me with your FB name so I can invite you into the group. Also. If you do attend the AMMA look me up. I'll be there all week.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns