• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Out of Africa

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Wife just finished this book. It infuriated her so much that she's encouraging me to take up deer hunting! I think this is a first in the history of marriage.

Assuming we move somewhere where there are woods, my wife wants to start deer hunting too. She's a much better shot than me though, so I'll probably just be there to carry stuff. ;)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Out even earlier?

I saw this article about a possible pre-human ancestor from 12 million years ago whose skull was found in Spain. Perhaps we started road-tripping even earlier.

Citation: “A unique Middle Miocene European hominoid and the origins of the great ape and human clade Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.” By Moya-Sola, S., Alba, D., Almecija, S., Casanovas-Vilar, I., Kohler, M., De Esteban-Trivigno, S., Robles, J., Galindo, J., & Fortuny, J. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106 No. 22, June 1, 2009.

Abstract

The great ape and human clade (Primates: Hominidae) currently includes orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos, and humans. When, where, and from which taxon hominids evolved are among the most exciting questions yet to be resolved. Within the Afropithecidae, the Kenyapithecinae (Kenyapithecini + Equatorini) have been proposed as the sister taxon of hominids, but thus far the fragmentary and scarce Middle Miocene fossil record has hampered testing this hypothesis. Here we describe a male partial face with mandible of a previously undescribed fossil hominid, Anoiapithecus brevirostris gen. et sp. nov., from the Middle Miocene (11.9 Ma) of Spain, which enables testing this hypothesis. Morphological and geometric morphometrics analyses of this material show a unique facial pattern for hominoids. This taxon combines autapomorphic features—such as a strongly reduced facial prognathism—with kenyapithecine (more specifically, kenyapithecin) and hominid synapomorphies. This combination supports a sister-group relationship between kenyapithecins (Griphopithecus + Kenyapithecus) and hominids. The presence of both groups in Eurasia during the Middle Miocene and the retention in kenyapithecins of a primitive hominoid postcranial body plan support a Eurasian origin of the Hominidae. Alternatively, the two extant hominid clades (Homininae and Ponginae) might have independently evolved in Africa and Eurasia from an ancestral, Middle Miocene stock, so that the supposed crown-hominid synapomorphies might be homoplastic.

If someone can translate this into English it would help me considerably, ;D but I think they are suggesting a possible Eurasian origin for man. Are they making any sense?

Medsen

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
A clade is a taxonomic group of closely related species.

Afropithecus and Kenyapithecus (and related ilk) are taxa of non-bipedal primates who lived during the Miocene, which was a time of a huge expansion of African primates, particularly apes (a primate without a tail). There has been some speculation that those taxa did not lead to hominids (bipedal apes), but are closely related to one/s that did later in the Pliocene.

A synapomorphy is a shared derived characteristic, that is, a character that a species has that is more "advanced" than ancestral species and is shared with later related species. Cladistics would put species that have synapomorphies as more closely related than those that don't. This European fossil has synapomorphies that would put it into a clade with African apes thought to be closely-related to Pliocene hominids, such as a flatter face, which is a synapomorphy of hominids in relation to, say, monkeys. It is, however extremely fragmentary (although a lot can be told from the right bit of fragment!).

The authors are claiming this one find posits a Euro-asian origin for the Pliocene emergence of hominids--a huge claim because it is thought that the first hominids led to...us. Conversely they say that perhaps there was parallel evolution going on whereby bipedality evolved both in Europe and in Africa.

I haven't seen this fossil, but I am skeptical...contrarary to the abstract, there is a mountain of fossil evidence from Miocene/Pliocene Africa that indicates that the earliest hominids came out of an African clade of apes to roam the savannah as the climate changed and started to dry up the vast jungles they lived in. Which one is not known, due to the difficulty of finding fossils where there is or used to be rainforests (animals don't fossilize in jungles), which is what most of Africa was during the Miocene. But one fossil from Spain? Let's see more fossils, not just one newly-named species

Does that help?

Oh yeah, and since this is a MEAD forum, eventually those African apes evolved into us--MEAD brewing bipedal apes. The pinnacle of the evolutionary process.

:)

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
a clade is a taxonomic group of closely related species.

Afropithecus and kenyapithecus (and related ilk) are taxa of non-bipedal primates who lived during the miocene, which was a time of a huge expansion of african primates, particularly apes (a primate without a tail). There has been some speculation that those taxa did not lead to hominids (bipedal apes), but are closely related to one/s that did later in the pliocene.

A synapomorphy is a shared derived characteristic, that is, a character that a species has that is more "advanced" than ancestral species and is shared with later related species. Cladistics would put species that have synapomorphies as more closely related than those that don't. This european fossil has synapomorphies that would put it into a clade with african apes thought to be closely-related to pliocene hominids, such as a flatter face, which is a synapomorphy of hominids in relation to, say, monkeys. It is, however extremely fragmentary (although a lot can be told from the right bit of fragment!).

The authors are claiming this one find posits a euro-asian origin for the pliocene emergence of hominids--a huge claim because it is thought that the first hominids led to...us. Conversely they say that perhaps there was parallel evolution going on whereby bipedality evolved both in europe and in africa.

I haven't seen this fossil, but i am skeptical...contrarary to the abstract, there is a mountain of fossil evidence from miocene/pliocene africa that indicates that the earliest hominids came out of an african clade of apes to roam the savannah as the climate changed and started to dry up the vast jungles they lived in. Which one is not known, due to the difficulty of finding fossils where there is or used to be rainforests (animals don't fossilize in jungles), which is what most of africa was during the miocene. But one fossil from spain? Let's see more fossils, not just one newly-named species

does that help?

Oh yeah, and since this is a mead forum, eventually those african apes evolved into us--mead brewing bipedal apes. The pinnacle of the evolutionary process.

:)

¡¡¡¡ wow !!!!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
It helps enormously!

Some of us are more pinnacle-headed than others. :laughing4:
Thank you teacher, that was a very nice lesson. I guess I need to bring you an apple (or better yet, cyser).

I'd probably be a much happier teacher if my students brought me cyser instead of apples.

:drunken_smilie:

Might get in trouble with the boss, though...

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Hmm. Interesting. If wine was being made commercially at that scale that long ago, how very much longer have people been making it?

And I remain convinced that as soon as people discovered they could ferment sugars to make tasty and intoxicating food/drinks, they aggressively did so with whatever sugar they had available (I have a video of animals eating fermented fruit that I wish I could attach). It might take some knowledge and skill to brew excellent, but brewing alcoholic doesn't, and it does all get you to the same place eventually.

Just from a logical perspective, once you hazard the bees and collect their honey, you generally have a lot of honey--more than you can use on your toast, anyway. A pound of honey lasts me a long time, and I love the stuff. You can trade it away for other desirable goods, but let's face it: making mead makes sense when you have a surfeit of honey. And alcohol is considerably more expensive (valuable? Did they have usurious alcohol taxes back in antiquity? :cool:) than an equal amount of raw honey, probably worth more when trading.

Of course, evidence for none of this is likely to be found in archeological sites of paleo- meso- or even neolithic pre-literate societies, more's the pity. Sometimes you just want to set aside your empiricist hat and put on your just-so story hat so you can enjoy the narrative without those pesky facts.

Thanks for posting, Al.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
And I remain convinced that as soon as people discovered they could ferment sugars to make tasty and intoxicating food/drinks, they aggressively did so with whatever sugar they had available (I have a video of animals eating fermented fruit that I wish I could attach).

Just from a logical perspective, once you hazard the bees and collect their honey, you generally have a lot of honey--more than you can use on your toast, anyway...making mead makes sense when you have a surfeit of honey.

Yeah, if you accept the notion that our primitive ancestor were intrinsically as smart as we are, and probably more observant of the natural phenomena around them, then the use of honey in fermentation would be quite logical.

Most any fruit/juice will ferment spontaneously in any container in which it is kept, but most fruits and juices will not create a high enough alcohol level to be microbiologically stable and will quickly spoil. Our forebearers didn't have a lot of options to chaptalize with. When you make a dry batch that isn't so great, attempting to sweeten it would be a natural next step. I'm confident that it didn't take them very long to figure out that if you kept adding honey to a batch of fermenting juice, the sweetness would go away and it would get stronger, until it reached a point where it would stay sweet. Such a batch would last much longer before spoiling as the step feeding would push the alcohol level up and the most ethanol tolerant yeast would remain through "natural" selection.

I reckon there aren't a lot of grapes in Africa, but when they found grapes which could be fermented into a beverage high enough in alcohol to stay stable, a whole new era of fermentation ensued. ;D

Last edited:

TimV

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2009
I'm a dual US/South African citizen. If there have been others who lived in Africa on this thread, they've probably pointed out that even the Bushmen drunk honey beer. They didn't need anything except gourds. Some of the Khoisan who worked for me called a neighboring valley "The land flowing with goat's milk and honey beer" :)

TimV

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2009
Those guys have that enzyme problem as well. Even the alcoholics there (which are most of them, seriously) are stumbling after one beer. After two, they're cross eyed and looking for a fight. There really is a lot of data on how different ethnic groups respond to alcohol, and it's fascinating.

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
My credentials: Minor in Anthropology from University of Georgia (although I was 2 classes from having a double major with my BA in journalism [basically all my electives were anthropology classes because I liked it, while others took art and basket weaving for easy A's {which explains in part why I can't get into grad school now (but I do know how to layer multiple parenthetical ideas)}]).

Observation 1: Monkeys in South America have been videotaped during a feeding frenzy of half-rotten fruits fallen to the forest floor, while perfectly good fruits were still on the tree. This resulted in observed clumsiness, violence, homosexuality, autoeroticism, and laziness.

Conclusion 1: Humans have been getting drunk since before they were humans, and fruit is probably the first since it's now known that primates do it on purpose, although they don't make it, just gather it, it is my understanding that honey won't ferment by itself very often, as fruit will.

Speculation 1: I doubt more than a few months passed between the time a human deliberately fermented fruit and the time a human deliberately fermented honey. In 10 thousand years from now, humans may ask "which came first, TV's or computers?" TV's are computers. Chicken, egg, etc.

Last edited:

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Observation 1: Monkeys in South America have been videotaped during a feeding frenzy of half-rotten fruits fallen to the forest floor, while perfectly good fruits were still on the tree. This resulted in observed clumsiness, violence, homosexuality, autoeroticism, and laziness.

What? No heterosexuality? No standard issue eroticism? Simultaneous violence and laziness? I'm going to need to see a reference!

One lasting thing I am curious about: where does the claim of mead being the oldest beverage originate? It may be mythological, but we humans can obviously keep a good myth going without any concern for its veracity, now, can't we? My questions are, where did it come from, and why?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It may be mythological, but we humans can obviously keep a good myth going without any concern for its veracity, now, can't we?

Yeah, just look at Keynesian economics.

For a long time it has seemed more logical to me that early humans' first experience with alcohol would have been with spoiling fruit or juice that was collected. Any early attempts at making wine would have produced a non-sulfited, probably low-alcohol result that would have been highly prone to spoilage. Not wanting to waste perfectly good alcohol, the earliest mazers figured out that sweetening it with honey would cover a multitude of sins (it works for me even now ;D). And lo, the melomel was born.

Purely supposition on my part, but plausible right?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
One lasting thing I am curious about: where does the claim of mead being the oldest beverage originate? It may be mythological, but we humans can obviously keep a good myth going without any concern for its veracity, now, can't we? My questions are, where did it come from, and why?

I think that Gayre's book, Wassail! In Mazers of Mead, and Ransome's book "The Sacred Bee," have been a large influence in promoting this idea. Mostly Gayre, since his book seems more well known than Ransome's.

--

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
For a long time it has seemed more logical to me that early humans' first experience with alcohol would have been with spoiling fruit or juice that was collected. Any early attempts at making wine would have produced a non-sulfited, probably low-alcohol result that would have been highly prone to spoilage. Not wanting to waste perfectly good alcohol, the earliest mazers figured out that sweetening it with honey would cover a multitude of sins (it works for me even now ;D). And lo, the melomel was born.

Purely supposition on my part, but plausible right?

Yeah, it's plausible. ;D

Well, sort of. It's been a mistake, IMHO, to look for the earliest wine, beer, or mead because what we're doing is imposing modern categories on very ancient ways of thinking. The earliest fermented beverages were made with whatever materials were at hand, and a culture would develop around this. Levi Strauss, also the author of fermented beverages in ancient Mexico, show how regions developed around the making of certain types of fermented beverages indigenous to the area. Honey was certainly used, wherever honey was to be found.

Look at the Jiahu beverages -- 9,000 years old, and it's neither wine, beer, nor mead. It's in a category all its own.

--

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Creative, intelligent beings that we are, I suspect that as soon as the process of fermentation (and its products) were discovered, no matter what the root source, we were likely more than willing to experiment with everything edible (and every possible combination of those things), to see what ferments into a pleasant potable. Clearly the Jiahu discovery points to "no boundaries" in the formulation of those early recipes. ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns