• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Vanilla Mead - I've Searched The Forums But Still Need Yeast Suggestions

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Well, I've got an empty 6 1/2 gallon carboy, which obviously means I have to make another batch of mead! I've searched the forums and read a LOT about the various vanilla meads that members have made, but I am still seeking advice - particularly about yeasts, as that is the area where I still get confused ( not that I don't get confused in other areas of mead making as well ;D ).

Here is my proposed recipe:

18 lbs Clover Honey
2 Teaspoons Ferrmaid
16 ounces Vanilla Extract
Water to 6 gallons
D-47 Yeast? Will use Go-Ferm when rehydrating.

Add 20 5-6" Tahitian Vanilla Beans split lengthwise after primary is complete.

I'm looking for a sweet - but not cloyingly so - finish, with distint vanilla flavor.

The reason I'm wondering about the yeast is because when I posted my proposed recipes for a Pyment and for a Acerglyn, it was suggested that I try different yeasts - for my Pyment I used R2 (Thanks Oskaar) and for my Acerglyn I'm going to use - as soon as it arrives - D254 (Thanks Wrathwilde).

I've read memento's Vanilla Dessert Mead recipe and my recipe is obviously based on his with the exception of the yeast. He - as well as others - have had good success with liquid yeasts, but I've also read that a lot of people who have used them have been less than pleased.

Whadya' Think? Is there a specific yeast that would be better suited for this recipe or should I go ahead and use the D-47 or go with mememto's White Labs Sweet Mead Liquid Yeast?

Thanks! - GrantLee63

BTW, I got 20 5-6" Tahitian Vanilla beans off of eBay for 99 Cents - with shipping it came to $4.67 - not too bad of a deal!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Stick with the D47 and re-hydrate with GoFerm. D47 works well with Vanilla. I'd go with 1 teaspoon of FermaidK in the must and then another of FermaidK at the end of the lag phase. You can also skip the up front addition of the nutrient in the must and add at the end of the lag phase, and then again at the 1/3 sugar break. D47 works nicely that way.

OK, on the vanilla, DUDE, that's an awful lot of vanilla to be tossing into this thing. Are you sure you want that much? I'd skip the extract up front in favor of about 6-8 vanilla beans in the primary (split and scraped) and then take a whiff and a slurp at racking time to see if it's where you want it. If not, you can always add more.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Excellent!!! .... Thanks Oskaar!!! Should I let this one sit on the lees like my cyser, or should it be racked off the lees when the primary fermentation is over?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, personally I'd rack this one, but dude, you're the mead boss of this batch so go with your gut!

Take a chance . . . Custer did!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Excellent timing on the thread as I am about to start a batch of vanilla and was about to ask Oskaar for a yeast suggestion. I am planning on 6 vanilla beans in the primary and 6 more in the secondary. Will go with D-47 and a gallon and a half of honey. Will probably heat and skim and forego the nutrients. Maybe a few raisins?

Good luck with yours...
Pewter

Maelduin

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2006
GrantLee,

Looks like you found my favourite vanilla source, arizonav on ebay. I've been averaging about 33 cents a bean, but you got an even better score at under a quarter. Nicely done, sir. Now quit bidding against me, dammit! ;)

Regards,

Michael

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
That wasn't me bidding against you Michael as I got mine from geodesic3 .....

I can't believe how inexpensive these things really are .... goes to show how much somebody is making on the retail side :mad:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns