• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Finally picked a name

Barrel Char Wood Products

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Hey gang, guess what? I finally get to have a whole glass of my own meads to taste again! Yup, that's right - the baby has been born. I would like to introduce you to Hunter, along with his big sister, Moira:

Hunter was born on June 13, 10 lbs 13 oz. He is amazingly adorable, looks just like his sister did at the same age. Makes me want to make videos of all of his cute expressions - especially the one that says "Mom! Can a guy get some sleep?? Please??" :) :)

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Scout,

Congratulations on a beautiful baby! Now you need to make a mead in his honor to be opened on 21st birthday!

-David

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Mazal tov, Scout! Darling little boy, and sweet big sister. May you have only pleasure from both of them!

Miriam

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Thanks, everyone. :) I have a lovely bottle of Cranberry melomel chilling in the fridge right now, and I think I may have a glass after his next feeding. :) I can't wait. I had a sip when we bottled it, but it was just enough to know the mead tastes good, not enough to truly enjoy . . .

How on earth do you make a mead that won't turn in 21 years???? Sounds like a very cool idea, though.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey Scout!!!!
Beautiful babies!!!
Noroc, fericire si sanatate --that'll be romanian for luck, happyness and health-- for the little one, his sister and mommy and daddy too ;D

Cheers,
Brewbear

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
scout said:
How on earth do you make a mead that won't turn in 21 years???? Sounds like a very cool idea, though.

A high Alcohol mead would probably stand up well. I think Jadwiga was aged 25 years, although economies of scale have forced them to to a lesser time scale, it is possible. I'm thinking a synthetic cork would probably be best... where the bottles can remain upright with no contact. Otherwise flor grade corks or possibly bottle capping champagne bottles. Of course as a parent it is your discretion when he gets his first mead. You can always do what my parents did and limit us to one glass on holidays or special occasions growing up. It seems to have worked, everyone in my family only drinks socially, and we never drink to get drunk, even when everyone else around us is... we're all quite responsible. Of course my Alcohol tolerance is prodigious, so that may be why I never seem to drink to excess. My (ex)fiancee, in 6 years claims to only have seen me visibly drunk around 3 or four times, despite years of weekly partying and bar crawling. Hell I've put down 11 Southern Comforts and coke in a little over two hours, the result... by pool game was a bit off and I felt only slightly buzzed. My coworkers were marveling at that for weeks.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How on earth do you make a mead that won't turn in 21 years??? Sounds like a very cool idea, though.

A very brawny mead with plenty of tannin, acid and alcohol that can stand the test of time. The jury is still out on synthetic corks past more than a few years, so I'd opt for screw-tops or natural cork. Some of my friends had bottles I'd given to them over ten years ago that were crown capped and they were great. A couple more had cork closures that were 8-10 years old that they said were stellar. I think synthetic corks are the next vertical that will follow the growing popularity of screw caps.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Oh, CONGRATS, Scout! 10 lbs, whew! My daughter was over 9 lbs, you have my sympathy for the birthing....but oh, isn't it worth it!!!! What a beautiful baby, and Moira is gorgeous too. I'll bet she's so proud to be a Big Sister.

A mead that will last 21 years......there was an article in Zymurgy a couple issues ago where they drank a 50 year old mead that came from England and it was fab, and they re-created the recipe....

I'll try to lay my hands on the issue, and post the recipe.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Congratulations Scout. A beautiful couple of kids.

I was going to bring up the same zymurgy recipe Vicky mentioned. The article made it sound delicious.

Vicky - if you cannot find it, I have it sitting on top of my pile at home.

Angus

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Go for it, Angus. Mine is buried in the 'go back to read more' pile, and on top of it is the pile of AMA articles to input for GM.....

Vicky - leaving for Michigan on Thursday and frantically trying to get everything done

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Scout!

I didn't put this in the last post but I wanted to chime in with Congratulations on the new arrival! That picture tells me that Hunter is hankerin' for some mead! I know the expression well! ;D

You have a beautiful family!

Cheers,

Oskaar

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Thanks again everyone. I do have to say I grow some nice babies, looks and temperament. I dread the teenage years, though. *grins* I knew someone would come up with a good recipe that would handle 21 years of aging. I told the idea to my husband and he thought it was a great idea - his only comment was to make sure I made one for Moira, too. :) Hers would definitely need to be a little sweeter than his, though - you should have heard her tonight. "Babies don't know how to talk yet. They have to be teached. So," turning to Hunter, "Baby, this is how you speak about your family . . ." She likes reading to him, too. :)

Someone please post that recipe!! :) I will add it to my list of meads to do (as opposed to the huge list of meads to FINISH *grins*).

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
As requested....

1944 Sack Metheglin

(Zymergy, Vol. 29, No. 1, January/February 2006)

Ingredients
for 5 U.S. gallons (19 litres)

12 lb (5.5 kg) Honey
2 oz Fresh Fennel
2 oz Lemon balm, thyme and sage flower
2 oz Elder flowers, fresh
1 oz Bay leaf, tansy (fresh), parsley (fresh) and mint
0.5 oz Clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg
Mead, wine or champagne yeast
0.25 tsp yeast extract or other nutrient

Directions:
Dissolve honey in enough water to make 5 gallons. Add hydrated yeast and ferment at about 70 F (21 C). Rack into a secondary when majority of fermentation has been completed and mead shows signs of clearing. Add herbs (remember to pronounce the 'H' since this is an English recipe :D) and spices to secondary. Age for three to six months. Bottle when fermentation has completely finished. Enjoy 61 years later.

Angus

Please go to the Recipe section to comment on this Mead http://www.gotmead.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,103/topic,4024.0

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns