• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yet another stuck fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fuzzmaster

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
Help. I can't figure out why my fermentation won't start. I brewed my must 4 days ago. Here's how it went:

Boiled 5 gallons of water
Turned off heat
Added 12 lbs wildflower and orange blossom honey
Steeped 25 minutes
chilled to 75F
racked into glass carboy with airlock
aerated with bottled oxygen and air stone
added 2 tsp yeast nutrient
added 2 tsp yeast energizer
pitched a swollen smack pack of Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast

Must has been sitting in the carboy at about 70F for 4 days with virtually no fermentation activity!

WHAT THE HECK HAVE I MISSED??????

Please help. Thanks.

--Fuzzmaster

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Hmmm...

Just a few questions.

Did the Smack pack expand like it says on the instructions before you pitched it.

And you say "virtually no fermentation activity". What happens if you shake up the mixture. Do you get airlock activity then?

Fuzzmaster

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
Yes, the smack pack was fat and happy.

By "virtually none" I mean one bubble in the airlock every 10-15 minutes or so. I get a couple bubbles if I shake the carboy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
It seems OK, the only thing I can think of is double check your SG and what is the PH?

Cheers
Jay

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
And double check your airlock to make sure it's sealed properly. A few other questions... what type of nutrient and energizer did you use, did you use tap water? A number of water companies have switched over to a new type of chlorination that cannot be boiled or filtered out. If you used municipal tap water that may be your problem, it's killing off your yeast. Best to use bottled spring water.

Wrathwilde

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
My bad! Welcome to Got Mead.

I need to learn how to read as you had the smack pack answer in the original post.

And sometimes they take time. When I’ve used Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast, fermentations seem pretty slow compared to other yeast strains but they do make nice mead.

You have a lot more patience than I if you're able to wait and stare 10-15 minutes between blips. I'd get bored and cheat (set up the camcorder and fast forward through the video) to see how long it takes.

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
From my experience with smack packs ,which primarily involves brewing beer, the smack pack itself is never enough to get a fermentation going quickly. When brewing beer I'd start my Wyeast a week ahead of time and do at least a 1 quart starter to step it up.

Just my 2p

All the Best,
Doug White

Fuzzmaster

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
Well it looks like the yeast is FINALLY waking up [:)] After 4 days of waiting I decided it was time to start panicking, but apparently it really just NEEDED that fifth day before it decided it was ready to show up for the party. [:D] I'm now getting bubbles in the airlock once about every minute and I've got a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. After leaving messages on several boards, it appears this might just be a characteristic of the this yeast (Wyaeast sweet mead). Something for everyone else to be wary of!

Thanks for all the help!

--Fuzzmaster

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Thank you for joining the growing number of people who keep re-affirming (albeit unknowingly) why I don't use Wyeast products any longer!! >:D

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Start by reading the descriptions of the yeasts.

Honestly I'd start with what I consider the basics:

D47, 71B for Sweet/Semi-Sweet Traditional and Show Meads
K1V, RC212 for Dry Traditional Meads
71B for berry melomels
K1V for Cysers (although many people use EC-1118 and I use D47 also)
RC-212 for dark grape pyments
DV10, EC1118 for sparkling mead base
K1V, D47 for Metheglins

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I would like to add the following based on the recommendations I received from fellow forum members when making the following:

White Grape Pyments = R2
Acerglyns = D-254

- GL63

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns